• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Algae eater for discus tank

rich_one

Members
Are there any discus safe algae eaters? As I understand it, plecos can harass discus. I tried otos once, but that turned out to be a bad idea. Any suggestions? Thanks.

-Rich

Becca

Members
Are there any discus safe algae eaters? As I understand it, plecos can harass discus. I tried otos once, but that turned out to be a bad idea. Any suggestions? Thanks.

-Rich
We've kept BNP's, L183, and L128s with ours and not had any issues. The regular BNPs are probably the best for algae eating, though.

Young Crossochelius reticulated are great, too, but can be jerks when they hit 5 to 6 inches.

rich_one

Members
Nerite snails... haven't had them in a long time, but used to be one of my faves. I think I'll grab a group of them. Even if it does mean little white eggs everywhere. LOL... thanks for the suggestions Becca and Felipe!

-Rich

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
I know of a few folks on here that keep discus who have bought Bristlenose Plecos from me and loved having them with discus. Not sure why/how they would harass them unless you are talking about breeding discus.

i've kept discus with plecos no problem. In fact, better than no problem, helpful with eating algae and other left over food the discus left behind.

I'd go for a few smaller pelcos rather than a large, just to insure they never get competitive for the food, discus should always get the first crack at it

dhavalsp

Members
BNP do well with discus...Just get the smaller one...if you feed your fish very generously then BNP will stop doing the hard work eventually...Just make sure you quarantine them 2 weeks more than your comfort level...