• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Algae Bloom (New Tank)

Cal

CCA Members
My 29gal appears to be having an algae bloom. It's a new tank so I'm assuming this is part of the process. I kinda remember my previous tanks acting weird (cloudy water) for a few weeks/months then clearing up.
Should I manually remove? Will it make a difference?

I've been dosing 3ml of liquid carbon daily and add 3ml of Seachem Compression Complete when I notice my nitrates are below 20ppm. I also add potassium bicarbonate to keep the kh between 40-80ppm. Water changes have not been so... regular... maybe 2 (10%) water changes done in the last few weeks since set up. Current residents are 11 white clouds and 10 cherry shrimp.

Specs
Filter: Aquaclear 50, using 1 old sponge and 1 new sponge
Light: Fluval fresh & planted 2.0 (on during 8:30am-12:30 & 2:30-8:30) 10hrs total daily
Substrate: CariDea Arag-Alive Hawaiian Black

Water Parameters
ph 7.8
kh 40-80ppm
gh 300 ppm
nitrate 0ppm
nitrite >20ppm (took this picture too soon, nitrates weren't fully developed)
Temp: 74-78, not running a heater

IMG_7326.jpg

IMG_7327.jpg

IMG_7329.jpg

Also have some foam at the top. Powerheads are coming to add surface agitation.
IMG_7328.jpg

Please let me know if I'm doing something outrageous wrong or if I can be doing something better. Thanks for the input in advanced!

Becca

Members
I would go ahead and do a small water change. Algae is pretty normal. You may need to work on how many hours per day your light is on, or how much you're feeding.

Reactions: Cal

FishEggs

Kris is the current vice president of gwapa. His site is definitely a treasure trove of good info.