• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Air Pump

toddnbecka

Members
How big of an air pump are you wanting? For running sponge filters in 4 tanks each I like the Whisper AP 300's, very quiet dual-outlet pumps that push a lot of air. The AP 150 is similar, but only has one outlet.

ezrk

Members
How big of an air pump are you wanting? For running sponge filters in 4 tanks each I like the Whisper AP 300's, very quiet dual-outlet pumps that push a lot of air. The AP 150 is similar, but only has one outlet.

yeah just looking for something to run sponge filters and such. We have Rena 200s but they seem relatively loud.

toddnbecka

Members
How big are your tanks? The Whisper AP pumps are designed for deeper tanks, will pump a good volume air several feet down. In shallower tanks you could easily split one outlet 3-4 ways and still have enough pressure for sponge filters.

ezrk

Members
How big are your tanks? The Whisper AP pumps are designed for deeper tanks, will pump a good volume air several feet down. In shallower tanks you could easily split one outlet 3-4 ways and still have enough pressure for sponge filters.

We just use them for 10g and 20g tanks.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
I bought all of the 'quiet' ones...

...comes of having tanks in the bedroom. It's like this:

Whispers don't, they wear out fast and the rebuild kit is half the price or more of a new filter because they won't sell you just the diaphragms. Talked to a rep and they allowed as their foreign quality control (read China) sucks. They do push some air.

My Dolphin is fairly quiet, expensive and doesn't push a lot of air. They do seem well built and made to last.

The Airpod is better than both. That being said, by the time you get to this price level you're better off going 'pro' and getting an Alita. For the price of tubing you can send air all over the place. I have an AL-15A and its running 15 sponge filters (10s and 20s) and has enough air left that I could probably add 6-12 more.

For around $100 you can not buy another air pump for ten years.

dogofwar

CCA Members
The most quiet air pump is a power head...

I've used many brands of air pumps over the years and have yet to find one that was really quiet, especially over time.

Anyone remember the "Silent Giant"? Had one circa 1985...and it was quiet enough for my parent's living room...although not actually silent..

Matt