• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Advice Please

ACHILLES

Members
I am working on a all male Peacocks tank. Now I have 4 fish in the tank. My question is can I have two same fish in the tank? Thanks!

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
To me it will be up to the fish. Like people some get along and some do not.

I have a tank with multiple males in it. They do not bother each other much. I have two of some types and they are okay. Then again every time I try to put another Male Albino Eureka Red in the tank the AER that is in there tries to kill him. None of the others will bother him. And the one male AER does not bother other fish in the tank.

Does that make sense?

F8LBITE

Members
Same here, its up to the fish. They do say similar colored fish will fight but in my experience not always. Keeping an all male tank makes you a referee and you have to be willing to separate troublesome fish to maintain peaceful balance.

I have had all male peacock tanks for many years now. I'm a strong believer of color being an important influence on aggression. The other, and most important factor is to avoid same family - different location peacocks. There are several different jacobfreibergies. You are better off with just one location from that group. Same with stuartgranties.

I would recommend you pick a jake, a stuartgranti yellow, a stuartgranti blue, a maylandi, a baenschi, and get them all started at the same size. Also, get three of each of whatever you decide on. The dominant male will only bother the subdominants of his same type and be guaranteed a good color male of each clan you have.

maddog10

Members
No one asked the important question.
What size tank?

I agree with Bobby, start them all out at the same size (I prefer to get them as juvies and grow them out) and 3 of each is a good number, if the tank is large enough. Provide LOTS of nooks and crannies for the fish to call their own. There will ALWAYS be some form of aggression in this type of tank. How sever will depend on the individual fish. You may have 1 fish that wants the whole tank to himself. Remove the OVERLY aggressive fish to a separate tank if things get too bad.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Provide LOTS of nooks and crannies for the fish to call their own.[/b]

In the beginning, refuge areas are important. Later on, as they gain size, breaking up "line of site" is helpful to keep down the aggression. Having a heavy load of fish can help here. That's where you can justify the investment of having three of the same. They all may not be as colorful as the dominant male, but they help with aggression because they take up space. The more fish you can keep with the amount of filtration available, the least amount of loss due to aggression will occur.

Ideally, a six foot (or bigger) tank is best for peacocks. I have raised mine in a four and five foot tank. But if you want to brag about size and color for your pets, that were kept together, bigger is better when it comes to tank size. :winking0011:

F8LBITE

Members
Yep I have had to sell/trade/give away overly aggressive or picked on fish. Just dont get too attached to them, I dont know about anyone else but Ive had 3 OB peacocks that were sometimes relentless on chasing fish, whatever fish got in their way got chased all over the tank.

ACHILLES

Members
Thank you Bobby and Maddog for the great advice! Now I have a Ruby Red, Lemon Jake, Flam Tail and a Bi-Color. They all 3" in a 50G tank. Yea...I know the tank is kind the small. I'm think about getting a Albino Taiwan Reef, Yellow Regal and a OB Peacock. Do you think is that will be ok? Also where can I get Albino Taiwan Reef and Yellow Regal? Thanks guys for the help. :D
Peacocks002.jpg