• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Acrylic tank stands

Jim Anderson

CCA Members
Hello All,
I have a quick question- does a 55 gallon (48"x13")acrylic aquarium need to have a full length and width support board(plywood,birch, etc) underneath the tank if the stand has end supports and a center support?
Thanks for your inputIMG_1762.JPG

JLW

CCA Members
No, it does not. I have had several 55 acrylics supported on standard aquarium stands like that, and nothing bad ever happened. :) However, adding a piece of plywood under it will give it a little more strength and stability, and will likely help preserve the tank over the long run.

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
I agree with Josh, it’s not needed, but I would do it for peace of mind. It helps with weight distribution and prevents certain spots from carrying too much weight.

stany

CCA Members
I'm not an engineer but have some construction experience. Adding the plywood as Cory and Josh suggest would help weight distribution. I personally pay more attention to support if the tank is bumped causing horizontal sway (left to right,right to left, front to back. or back to front) A tank in motion kind of thing.Good frame design can limit this.

Jim Anderson

CCA Members
Thanks for the responses, my gut feeling was to add a piece of plywood. Shortly after posting this I was able to get a hold of the manufacturing company and they said a piece of plywood was needed.
Thanks, Jim

image.jpg

image.jpg

backfromthedead

CCA Members
yeah definitely make sure all 4 corners are supported. a piece of plywood cut to fit should help you out immensely with that. id say at least 3/4"