• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Acei with no tail?

I recently purchased an assorted group of cichlids to stock my 75 gallon and among this group happened to be an acei cichlid who just so happened to be missing his tail. I should have noticed that when I double checked what was in the bags...but somehow it slipped my quality control at the store. He seems to get around just fine though and there's no open wound. Has anyone ever had a fish that was missing its tail? Will he be able to live in a tank full of mbuna and not get picked on too much? My concern is that without the tail he may not be able to escape being bullied. He definitely has the most character in the tank thats for sure...

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Ading522

Members
Depending on your stock he should be fine..unless he is still going to be the runt of the batch..maybe for now separate him to a quarantine tank,add some salt and maybe a little melafix and he should grow back his tail.. Unless there really is such a defect? Just my two cents.

Sent from my XT1060 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

I was actually thinking about engineering a mechanical apparatus with a propeller to attach to him so he can get around better than the rest. It will also need defences such as a grenade launcher for self defence and armor plating down the sides. I will call it MECHA-CICHLID!!

HAHA Seriously though I do want this little guy to survive I have been thinking about putting him in one of my 20long tanks till he gets bigger.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Ading522

Members
LOL.. sounds like the movie "How to tame your dragon" .. i think taking him out from the tank will be a better idea, let him heal some then decide whether or not he is fit to get back in the big tank..