• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

ACA fun

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
1)You can get into the show, vendors and manufacturers for free. The only thing you pay for is the speakers. Without that the club would go bankrupt.
I'm not trying to beat a dead horse here. I didn't realize that these parts of the show were free to attend. These are the parts I think we'd be interested in filming. For people that can't make ACA regardless, I think they'd enjoy it. I think vendors and manufacturers would enjoy the exposure as well. Anyways, where are the good stories? I love the picture Bill posted of Richard. Classic timing.

Glad you all had a good time! Pat is absolutely correct about the taping. Keep in mind that the convention is the major fundraiser for the ACA. If you make it too convenient to attend virtually you end up discouraging people from attending physcially which hurts the ACA. That being said I do think that videotaping the convention (outside of the speakers) is a good idea. However it should not be aired until some time AFTER the convention is over. This achieves the same goal as giving the newcomer a glimpse of convention activities which can generate interest and buzz for the next convention but does not take attendance away from the previous convention. Ideally it should become available around or just before preregistration opens when buzz is low.
That being said I can't wait to attend next years convention. You guys and gals that attended this year just wait until next year when you have to work it!
Andy

dogofwar

CCA Members
I'm not interested in beating this horse anymore either. If the ACA was interested in reaching out to new people, it would have years ago and membership wouldn't be what it is today.

And making some aspects of the ACA available for free (and tucked away in a conference room in a random hotel on the outskirts of Cinci, Milwaukee, etc.) is very different than having and executing a plan to drive attendance and participation of these activities by new audiences. Or having plans to welcome, excite and engage these people when they do arrive.

That said, the available market for people willing to pay to see videos of presentations and other content from ACA conventions is much larger than the number that can ever attend in person. There are far more than 300-400 people in the world who are into cichlids...enough to pay a few bucks to see what they're missing.

Ask yourself: If you could pay $10-$20 and see videos of some of the presentations at the ACA (and other stuff), would you cancel your plans to attend in person? I didn't think so...

Can we all agree that it would be better for the hobby and the ACA (which is a 501c(3) not for profit) if presenters allowed their presentations to be recorded and used by the ACA as a way to develop new revenue streams to support conservation activities, attract and retain new members and support its goal of education...but that the self interests of some presenters is the main barrier keeping this from happening?

Matt
Not commenting on this anymore

Glad you all had a good time! Pat is absolutely correct about the taping. Keep in mind that the convention is the major fundraiser for the ACA. If you make it too convenient to attend virtually you end up discouraging people from attending physcially which hurts the ACA. That being said I do think that videotaping the convention (outside of the speakers) is a good idea. However it should not be aired until some time AFTER the convention is over. This achieves the same goal as giving the newcomer a glimpse of convention activities which can generate interest and buzz for the next convention but does not take attendance away from the previous convention. Ideally it should become available around or just before preregistration opens when buzz is low.
That being said I can't wait to attend next years convention. You guys and gals that attended this year just wait until next year when you have to work it!
Andy

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
NOTE to ALL: Please only show pictures of me with clothes ON! :eek:

And c'mon guys, edit any stories as need be so I look like a Saint. ;)
I've got a separate place you can send the pics that get filtered out by this request.

And you can't listen to Alesia. If you edit the stories to make her look like a saint, there won't be any stories to tell:p.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Andy

Andy..... Hudson?

Dude, it was awesome meeting you at the convention! Thanks so much for all the hard work by you and your team and thanks for the tremendous fish! I actually ended up picking up a few more of your bags at the auction. (Most) everything survived the 30 hours in their bags. Good stuff, bro. :)

It's funny; I've seen you post here and there on the forum, but it didn't dawn on me who you were when I met you.

Thanks again and good luck with the move and the wedding. Hopefully, by the time you're settled into your new place and down in DC next year, I can give you some of your fish back.... maybe in fry form. ;)

Can't wait to see you again next year at when it's our turn to repay the favor.

:happy0180:

Tony Horos

I've got a separate place you can send the pics that get filtered out by this request.

And you can't listen to Alesia. If you edit the stories to make her look like a saint, there won't be any stories to tell:p.

Hmm, just wait til the Catfish Convention, Michael!! The we'll see what you have to say about what happens at a convention staying at a convention. :p Bet I can get PLENTY of crazy pictures of you throughout that weekend :p :eek: :wacko: :eek:

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Hmm, just wait til the Catfish Convention, Michael!! The we'll see what you have to say about what happens at a convention staying at a convention. :p Bet I can get PLENTY of crazy pictures of you throughout that weekend :p :eek: :wacko: :eek:
Haha! Did I hear the word BET? Sounds like a challenge to me. I'll make sure you keep a glass of wine in one hand and a bag of fish in the other and you won't have room for a camera.

Tony

I'll make sure you keep a glass of wine in one hand and a bag of fish in the other and you won't have room for a camera.

Mike, were you at the convention? I think every time I saw her, Alesia was rocking a bag of fish in one hand and a glass of wine in the other. lol.

Actually, come to think of it, not so much the bag of fish.... more like double fisting wine glasses. :p

Mike, were you at the convention? I think every time I saw her, Alesia was rocking a bag of fish in one hand and a glass of wine in the other. lol.

Actually, come to think of it, not so much the bag of fish.... more like double fisting wine glasses. :p

Not my fault! Everyone kept buying them for me! I am an :angel2: I tell you!

Okay, okay, maybe more like :woman2:

Hey Tony,
Glad to hear most of the fish made it safely back home. Enjoy them. Hopefully by next year I will have a new place and will be starting my fish room back over again so I can buy fish next year!

Matt,
I must respectfully disagree with you. We are not talking about popular entertainment here. Selling a $10-12 video takes away from someone coming to the convention and buying fish at the BABES auction and silent auctions which takes money away from the ACA and it's conservation programs. And although you could probably sell more videos than people who can attend the convention it probably wouldn't generate the $30,000 or more which the convention generates (a percentage of which goes to the host club). There simply isn't a big enough market for aquarium videos.
Not to mention the support that local clubs such as the CCA and MAS get from having speakers talk. The clubs need them much more than the speakers need the clubs.
Andy

SubMariner

Master Jedi & Past VP
Richard, Richard, Richard...
Don't ever underestimate a Jersey Boy from 1000 miles away...I have my people :rolleyes:
BTW, is that a Twenty?

Richardaca.jpg

Bill, can't you see that I'm supporting Cichlid Conservation! LOL! BTW, that was Shelby and she was a doll! I was just doing my part to support the BABES Auction which you missed.

So for your information my NJ Brother who can't even fly a Mickey Mouse Plane,
:lol: I was merely contributing a nice phat $20 dollar bill to support the ACA Convention which was AWESOME! :p

fischfan13

Banned
Bill, can't you see that I'm supporting Cichlid Conservation! LOL! BTW, that was Shelby and she was a doll! I was just doing my part to support the BABES Auction which you missed.

So for your information my NJ Brother who can't even fly a Mickey Mouse Plane,
:lol: I was merely contributing a nice phat $20 dollar bill to support the ACA Convention which was AWESOME! :p

Oh, I wasn't talking about Shelby, I was simply pointing out the fact that I found a picture of you in some really unattractive plaid shorts.:eek::lol::eek:

Tony

Oh, I wasn't talking about Shelby, I was simply pointing out the fact that I found a picture of you in some really unattractive plaid shorts.:eek::lol::eek:

Hopefully, Kevin may have some shots in his V-neck sweater with said plaid shorts on the last day during the auction....

NOW *THAT* WAS HAWT!!!!