• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Aca 2008 Fish And Swap?

Hello,
Pat Kelly I know you are going and was wondering if anyone else from the CCA will be attending? I would like to know if anyone will be bringing any "extra" stuff like fry. I would be interested in some fry from some GREAT lines. From what I have seen Bobby and Pat have some nice lines of some peacocks I would like to acquire. I have not been into peacocks that long so a good strain is a great starting point. Attached is some of the fish I will be showing:

Aulonocara sp. Lwanda Red Top
Lwandashow4.jpg

Aulonocara jacobfreibergi "Eureka Red" Albino
(this guys is only 3.5" and the color is EXTREME; almost red!! My best AER by far!!)
AlbinoAER2.jpg

Dimidochromis Kiwinge
SHOWKiwinge1.jpg

Protomelas spilonotus Tanzanian Insignus
(need to get his ventrals back up to 6"; don't know if I can with the time constraint)
Insignus1.jpg

Lichnochromis Acuticeps "Malawi Gar"
LichnoShow12.jpg

Placidochromis sp. Phenochilus "lupingu"
PhenoShow11.jpg

There are a few others but don't know if they will be ready. My Red Ngara's are pretty small only 3" but are very nice.. If I can get them to 4-5" in 4 months than I will but right now dunno... Anyways, if you have any positive criticism or any helpful "hints" in preperation for the show please feel free to let me know. Thanks
James P Kelley

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Man that AER is red. The others have great color too.

I doubt I will have anything to take with me. I sold most of my saleable fry at the OCA and while I have others coming up, I have sort of started switching to Tangs a little. We will have to see what I have in July. You never know what I will do by then. Stores ask for fish, members stop by and some times the mini-auctions just call my name...lol
Seems I have less room for Peacocks all of a sudden. Been looking at BAP points and less on mass producing fry for stores and such. Just a different faze I am going through possibly? We will see.
I had planned on showing fish until I decided to fly. I have been keeping one of each in a 150 but they are still not growing the way I would like. Still, You never know. By that time I may change my mind and load a box to send.
I am flying Air Tran and had no problem checking a cooler of fish for the flight home last year, just that going out it was empty and it did not make it on time. Got lost. If it had fish in it they would not have made it. Makes me 2nd guess taking them but like I said, its still 5 months away. I will change my mind 20 times by then.

John P Kelly. lol

marge618

CCA member
James: Your fish pics are beautiful. I especially like the vibrant red coloring! How do you get your fish to and from the event safely?

Pat:'Cooler got lost' on the way out when it was empty!

How do people get their fish to the event?

I bought a tiny styrofoam box at the last CCA auction...It was sold as 'suitcase size'.
If that tiny box is the size you would use...you could only take 2 fish???

What about getting fish home.
Is there someone at the event who has experience shipping fish...That you could arrange to have your fish shipped to MD..

I am sure that the fish from breeders all over the country are a big draw at the event so :confused0024:

Later,
Marge

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Yes, my wife and I took 2 bags and the cooler to CA. Nothing showed up with us. Her bag showed that night. My bag and the cooler showed 4 days later. I went to San Fransico and my stuff went to the Bahamas. Wish we could have switched.

On the way back, I packed fish and they made it with no problem. On the CA trip we flew BWI to Atlanta to San Fran. So it is a good bet from here to Atlanta will be now problem.

The cooler you have is small but that way it will fit in the checked luggage without any questions about what it is. Make sure you take extra fishbags with you. The one I packed in my suitcase before was bigger but hardly fit in there. It took up 3/4 of the case and then above it I stored the bags, bands, plastic container that I hold the fish in when in my room, heater, air pump,air hose, net, declorinator, hand warmers, etc. Makes for a full suitcase. But I have brought fish from CA, and flew them round trip from Chicago with no problems at all. Fish made it fine.

There no doubt will be someone there that will ship for you for a fee. Sometimes the host club will arrange it for you but you have to purchase a styro from someone and provide your own bags for them. It can be a big job...

Some shows also have rental tanks. A room where you rent the tank and its heated and air is provided. There are many people there with fish for sale or when you find something you buy, you put in your tank. I have never done that, I usually take something to put fish in, in my room.

fishfarm

Members
A standard Florida fish box will fit into most large suitcases, I pack the fish, tape it shut and put it inside my checked luggage, I give 6-8 talks a year and always take a box of fish, No problemo.
Some airlines (Delta) will not hesitate to check a Fishbox as luggage, even with LIve Tropicla Fish on the outside of the box. I've heard some people have problems with United before. When we go collecting in C. America Eddie takes a Coleman cooler 4' long and never has a problem, but we always fly Delta. We will have rental tanks with sponge filters to hold you fish or sell out of. Ten gallons will rent for $10 and 20 gallons $20, Reserve them early as we have limite space and when we reach capacity that will be it. Ken

fishfarm

Members
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (James Kelley @ Feb 25 2008, 10:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Hello,
Pat Kelly I know you are going and was wondering if anyone else from the CCA will be attending? I would like to know if anyone will be bringing any "extra" stuff like fry. I would be interested in some fry from some GREAT lines. From what I have seen Bobby and Pat have some nice lines of some peacocks I would like to acquire. I have not been into peacocks that long so a good strain is a great starting point. Attached is some of the fish I will be showing:

Aulonocara sp. Lwanda Red Top
Lwandashow4.jpg

Aulonocara jacobfreibergi "Eureka Red" Albino
(this guys is only 3.5" and the color is EXTREME; almost red!! My best AER by far!!)
AlbinoAER2.jpg

Dimidochromis Kiwinge
SHOWKiwinge1.jpg

Protomelas spilonotus Tanzanian Insignus
(need to get his ventrals back up to 6"; don't know if I can with the time constraint)
Insignus1.jpg

Lichnochromis Acuticeps "Malawi Gar"
LichnoShow12.jpg

Placidochromis sp. Phenochilus "lupingu"
PhenoShow11.jpg

There are a few others but don't know if they will be ready. My Red Ngara's are pretty small only 3" but are very nice.. If I can get them to 4-5" in 4 months than I will but right now dunno... Anyways, if you have any positive criticism or any helpful "hints" in preperation for the show please feel free to let me know. Thanks
James P Kelley[/b]
Nice looking fish, my suggestion is to isolate each fish in a 10 or 20 gallon tank to get them used to it and they can grow out any nicks in the fins. You have some winners there. Ken

Marge,
I ship fish all over the United States so I have no problem helping you out if need be. Basically what I am going to do is bag them and make sure they are sedated enough to where they are not jumping around to shred their fins. Don't know how I am going to do this effectively as the anesthetic I use is Hypno by Jungle Labs and is very potent. Very thin line between "sedated" and sleeping for eternity. I am thinking of switching to QuinPhos and this is a very suitable anesthetic as the fish appear to be floaters but when introduced into fresh water they immediately wake up (NO KIDDING!! I was sent a 8" Fusco that appeared he was dead, still breathing though, and within seconds he came right out of it and was eating 20 min later). I only live 2 hours away from Atlanta so getting the fish there is easy. However, getting the fish there w/o torn fins is the hard part I haven't figured out yet. Any suggestions?
Thanks for the compliments about the fish. I am probably getting away from the "commercial" side of the hobby b/c of other restrictive factors, however, that won't stop me from buying fish still. I just won't sell as much. I really hate selling stuff as I want to enjoy the fishes before they move on to another hobbyist. I haven't been enjoying them as much lately but that is changing...
Pat, which ones from the pics do you think I can win. I am going to enter 3-4 peacocks and 2-4 hap's... I think that Lwanda and AER should do good as the lwanda is very nice. The picture doesn't show his true intensity as his tip colors on his dorsal, anal, and caudal fin are an orangish/red variety. My guesstimations is that it will be a dark orangish red by the time this fish reaches 5". He is only about 4" now and I still have to grow his fins out. Think I am going to subdivide a 55g and put each male on one side and let them go at it..
jpk

Also for the CCA members I will be able to bag fish if you want. The only thing I would ask is for "compensation" for using my equipment and materials associated with shipping these fish. I use prime, pure o2, bag buddies or sedative (for fish over 4-5" mainly haps), bags, and Blue Holdex. Basically what the farms use when they ship. If you are interested I also have "22x18x10" box rated at 18lbs and usually costs 75.00 to ship via FedEx standard overnight or you can put this box in your suitcase. The price of the box will be 8.00 (what the farm charges me). I can fit in A LOT of fish in one of those boxes. The most I have ever done in that box was 30 fish ranging in size from 3-8" and the weight was only 25lbs.
Just everyone who will be attending please pm me or respond so I know how much stuff I need to bring..

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Thanks James.
I didn't realize you were that close to Atlanta.

Getting the fish to the show in one piece is always fun.
I have, in the past, taken fish to shows a day early, set them up in my room and let them acclimate to the new water and hope they get over the stress of travel. Then I take them down to the fish show and get them into the tank as early as possible.

marge618

CCA member
Pat, Ken, James: Thanks for all the info about shipping fish. Now at least I know that any fish we take with us... or get there... will make it home.

Bet the pics we have seen so far will make everyone in Atlanta take notice!

Now to see about making arrangements for me (to fly that is).
Later,
Marge

maddog10

Members
James,
If you need a deciding factor, take the largest one that freely comes to the front of the tank to see whats going on.

SubMariner

Master Jedi & Past VP
Impressive!

They are unbelievably gorgeous to say the least.

I thought my Crimson Red Empress was red, but WOW! THAT'S RED!

Simply Awesome James!

You have a very good chance to be in the top of the race at the ACA, Good Luck.

SubMariner

Well they aren't hormoned or anything. They come from a good breeding source as Ruby Reds from a different delivery date have produced viable fry so they are fertile.

We'll see what happens.

Here are more BETTER PICS of these fish. My camera SUCKS and really didn't do the first batch of pictures any justice. Hope you enjoy!!! These are smoking hot fish; the best I have ever seen!!

Ruby 5
RubyREDSHOW5.jpg

Ruby 7
RubyREDSHOW7.jpg

Ruby 4
RubyREDSHOW4.jpg

These are a new batch of fish. There are a total of 8 and I believe that 7 or 5 are the best formed so far. I am still working on them to see if I can get their fins a little longer but we'll see.

If you have any feedback just let me know. Thanks again!!

dogofwar

CCA Members
Wasn't implying that your fish are hormoned... just wondering what you feed them. Lots of krill?

Thanks,
Matt

I know you weren't implying that... I am just telling you that so people don't "assume" that.

These fish get feed NLS, and blood worms. Just started on NLS, however, the breeder feeds them blood worms as their staple diet.

Sonny Disposition

What's NLS?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (James Kelley @ May 11 2008, 05:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I know you weren't implying that... I am just telling you that so people don't "assume" that.

These fish get feed NLS, and blood worms. Just started on NLS, however, the breeder feeds them blood worms as their staple diet.[/b]