• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

AC 110 ?

bschuhart

Members
I have AC110's on my 40B's , I know a little overkill, but I got 2 AC100's for $5.oo each on craigslist.

I just have 2 foam inserts in them, how often should I clean the foam?

Any Thoughts?

Spine

Members
I pull the foam and clean it when I do water changes. I shake and squeeze the foam in the bucket of water that I drain from the tank.

Charlutz

Members
Depends on the gunk load in the tank. When the sponges start to clog, they overflow over the end of the filter box where the inlet tube connects. Once you see water flowing through there, you know it is bypassing the sponge and it's time to clean. I'm less careful with my filter pads then most. I squeeze them out under the faucet and rely on the other areas of tank to maintain the bacterial colonies. I just rinse until the water coming out of them is mostly clean.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Depends on the gunk load in the tank. When the sponges start to clog, they overflow over the end of the filter box where the inlet tube connects. Once you see water flowing through there, you know it is bypassing the sponge and it's time to clean. I'm less careful with my filter pads then most. I squeeze them out under the faucet and rely on the other areas of tank to maintain the bacterial colonies. I just rinse until the water coming out of them is mostly clean.

I go one more step. When it is so clogged that it pushes the filter material up and knocks off the lid.
Thats when I clean them.
Of course I have had some that put the water on the floor first. Thats not good. LOL