• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

AC 110 Filter Questions

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I recently picked up 2 AC 110's to run on my new setup. The tank they are on is 60 X 18 X 23 (I'll get pics up as soon as I have some time, it currently is the temporary home for a bunch of Dogofwar's fish). It is a really awesome sized tank, but is pretty deep. The filters currently have the stock intake tubes on them that only go down in the tank about 8-12 inches.

My concern is that I will not get good water movement in the bottom half of the tank. Does anyone have experience with adding tubes to extend lower in the tank with respect to reduced (if any) flow from the filter due to the extended distance the filter has to "pull" water up the intake?

I know I could get added movement with power heads in the tank, but the extended intakes would be more cost effective as well as better looking.

mab

Members
You can easily purchase extra tubes to get lower in a deeper tank. There will be no performance degradation with the higher lift.

fischfan13

Banned
I have always added pre-filters onto AquaClears...

a_HS-PF-FM3.jpg

Plenipotentiary-at-large
No flow diminishment no matter where you put the intake,....

...it's all about water pressure. Changing the water level is the only way to alter the flow rate unless your pre-filters (which you should definitely use) are too dense or become clogged. I shroud mine in java moss to mask them which is far easier than it may sound.

toddnbecka

Members
I've found that the replacement prefilter sponges for penguin reverse-flow powerhead setups work best for aquaclear intake covers. I tried finer-pore sponges but they clogged up too quickly, and greatly reduced the flow rate through the filters. They also fit very nicely in the quickfilter housings.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Cheap foam pre-filters. These are good and they come in colors.

Seller will ship any combination of colors you desire - are way cheaper than Marineland pre-filters and slightly denser as well, but not so much as to get clogged the way 'bubbler' filters do. I bought 4 of these at auction on Ebay from him for $1.00 + $4.00 for shipping and as promised they were all green.

http://cgi.ebay.com/4-Aquarium-Filt...et_Supplies&hash=item335c0c0b9f#ht_1002wt_736

Elrollo

Members
A ac70 sponge that you drill a hole 1/2 way thru works well also..spade bit close to diameter of intake..put them in tupperware then add water toss in freezer. Once frozen drill carefully