• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Above ground DIY pond

Acpape0

Members
I am looking for some ideas for an above ground DIY pond. Has anyone made one? Any ideas / suggestions?
Needs to be aesthetically please to get the wife on board

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

I've been thinking about doing the same thing.

In my case, I'm leaning towards using an area of my back yard that's sloped so that it will look more natural when I place large rocks around the exposed area. Run off water is also a big concern.

Best of luck with your project.

Sent from my C6916 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

DBLN8

Members
I'm in the process of building a above ground pond on my deck. I'm using a 100 gallon stock tank and I built a T111 plywood "box" with 2" x 6"s on the top to hide the stock tank. I should finish it next by weekend.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Cichlidaddicted (Dan) builds ponds for a living.
I've built small ones with chicken wire over a large rubermaid tub then added foam then a liner to give the bottom of the otherwise flat container some shape then decorate around it as you see fit. Also the space under the wire can house the pump and other items so they are hidden from sight.

Really the possibilities are endless, how big of a space do you have? Is it going to be on the ground or a deck or concrete? Does it have to be above ground? What do you plan on keeping in it? Anything above ground has very limited possibilties because no matter how big or deep it is it will freeze solid unless you heat it. I strongly recommend you go bellow ground for countless reasons. In the end its easier cheaper and much more aesthetically pleasing. With a little more info I could walk you through the best way to do it.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Really the possibilities are endless, how big of a space do you have? Is it going to be on the ground or a deck or concrete? Does it have to be above ground? What do you plan on keeping in it? Anything above ground has very limited possibilties because no matter how big or deep it is it will freeze solid unless you heat it. I strongly recommend you go bellow ground for countless reasons. In the end its easier cheaper and much more aesthetically pleasing. With a little more info I could walk you through the best way to do it.

Not to derail but you should post pics of your wrk on another thread the stuff I saw at AquaMania was pretty impressive.

Harleyrider5

Members
I want to do a pond for my gars they are just about too big for my tanks. I wasnt sure if stock tanks would be enough or not. I will keep an eye on this thread for advice and ideas

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Not to derail but you should post pics of your wrk on another thread the stuff I saw at AquaMania was pretty impressive.

If people are interested I can post pics of lots of different stuff from small to XL to get everyones creative juices flowing. I'll get the portfolio out and start a post tomorrow. I'm happy to help anyone who has questions.

Becca

Members
At ye olde 'quarium center we had one that was essentially built like a 3 foot high outdoor planter - nice wood, box shaped, where we kept various large expensive things. It wasn't natural looking, but it was attractive.

chriscoli

Administrator
If people are interested I can post pics of lots of different stuff from small to XL to get everyones creative juices flowing. I'll get the portfolio out and start a post tomorrow. I'm happy to help anyone who has questions.

I'd love to see pics! Not to derail the conversation, but I've been trying to justify a pond in a yard that's got lots of dense trees nearby (ie roots) and is in dense shade most of the day.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Lol good ole charred American white oak barrels lol new meaning to "angels cut" or "devils cut" lol or should I say Red Devils lol
Bad jokes I know

Acpape0

Members
Now if I could convince the wife of the benefits of purchasing JD by the barrel I would be a happy man. But for the time being I am stuck purchasing the liquid at one store and the barrel at another