• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

a quick fishroom update

msjinkzd

invert junkie
anytime you like! Visitors are always welcome, as long as I know you are coming so can make sure I am home! :D

msjinkzd

invert junkie
Thanks guys!

There is still work to be done. Chris and I are going to put in some more electrical outlets around the new sections of racks and I really need to figure out my lighting. You may have noticed I am using about a half dozen clip lamps on some of the newer racks. While they are doign their job, it is all I see when I look at the picture! We also still need to put the drain ports on the "new" side of hte fish room and I want to set up a way to divert my drain water to the gardens for the fair months. All in all, I am really pleased with it as it has come a LONG way!

Nathan

Members
Thanks guys!

There is still work to be done. Chris and I are going to put in some more electrical outlets around the new sections of racks and I really need to figure out my lighting. You may have noticed I am using about a half dozen clip lamps on some of the newer racks. While they are doign their job, it is all I see when I look at the picture! We also still need to put the drain ports on the "new" side of hte fish room and I want to set up a way to divert my drain water to the gardens for the fair months. All in all, I am really pleased with it as it has come a LONG way!

Have you thought about making your own led fixtures? Im in the process of playing with a few things at the moment

msjinkzd

invert junkie
No, I think it might not be particularly affordable for 70+ tanks, though I would love to have the energy efficiency.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Shazam

Very impressive - occurs to me that I also want a basement.

Your chair looks, how does one say, "well-loved". Would love to visit if I'm out your way so I can see/you can explain the method to your mastery, especially regarding your affection for your 75/55/20 system.

Nathan

Members
No, I think it might not be particularly affordable for 70+ tanks, though I would love to have the energy efficiency.

If you dont need a ton of light its not to bad. Im slowly moving all my tanks over. 24"x12" aquariums can be done with 4 LEDs, 1 per 6" seems to work well and you can get the top of the line leds for around $6ea. It still is expensive, but not as much as most think.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Nathan - if you do make your own LED fixture, keep a picture log and post it up to the forum. I'd really be interested in the process.

msjinkzd

invert junkie
If you dont need a ton of light its not to bad. Im slowly moving all my tanks over. 24"x12" aquariums can be done with 4 LEDs, 1 per 6" seems to work well and you can get the top of the line leds for around $6ea. It still is expensive, but not as much as most think.
I have plants in all my tanks, so that is a limiting factor as well. I am very interseted in those for some of my non-planted tanks though. I should talk to you about what I would need for my 7' tank. That thing is a beast to light and the hanging fixtures look pretty sloppy.
Nathan - if you do make your own LED fixture, keep a picture log and post it up to the forum. I'd really be interested in the process.
Iam interested as well.

Spine

Members
Looks awesome. Thanks for the inspiration Rachel.

Now I gotta get off my butt and finish my fish room:D:D:D

Nathan

Members
I've made a few so far. Im by no means an expert on these, just doing it by trial and error pretty much. Plants shouldn't be a problem if you use a big (mA) driver.
If you want to play with them heres what i've found works best so far:
http://www.ledgroupbuy.com/inventronics-120w-driver-2100ma/ (needs a minimum of 10 leds to work. Can run up to 48, enough for 8 30gs, 9 20 longs or 11 15g/20hs.)
http://www.ledgroupbuy.com/cree-xm-l-white/ (The t5s are fine, U2s the newest/best)
And use cpu coolers for the heat sink. You can get them for around $2 on ebay.
Still pricey but might pay for themselves in a few years depending on what you'd use instead.

Shane

Members
Rachel,
I passed through yesterday (coming from Philly back down to the Old Dominion) and stopped by That Fish Place, but due to some poor planning (on my part) I did not coordinate with you. I'll get back up there soon and plan ahead so we can work a visit.
-Shane

msjinkzd

invert junkie
Sounsd great! I can give you my cell number as well, I don't require much notice since I work from home.