• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

A few more shrimp questions

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
Hey guys
SO, the more I watch videos of shrimps and see pictures of them the more I desperately want them!
I know swordtails are defenitely not fish I can keep withs shrimps especially since I want to breed them. So what fish would do well with them? I was thinking of some badis sp. or some heterandria formosa. They'd be in planted 10 gallons so nothing that can outgrow that tank or that would eat/mess up the plants. I'd prefferabely want something that I can breed without much trouble.
Another question I have is, how often do the more fancy variaties of shrimp drop fry? I was planning on getting some blue pearls, some red rilis, and defenitely some neon yellow or neon orange shrimps if I can find some and I've heard all of those drop allot less shrimplets than normal red cherrys do.
And my last question -which I'm pretty shure I know the answer of- since all of my tanks without cichlids are infested with snails, would the snails harm the baby shrimp? Most of the snails are large ramshorn snails.
Thanks!

Hannibal

Members
I have a colony of red cherry shrimp in a 15 gallon column tank all by themselves. If you are looking to breed shrimp I would recommend keeping them in their own tank to ensure more of the little shrimpettes survive.

ddavila06

Members
i keep red cherrys with apistogramma bitaeniatus shushupe, they do not care about the adults..they probably do eat some young..
anything that can eat a shrimp will eat a shrimp. thats what i been told :/

mchambers

Former CCA member
Ramshorn snails don't seem to harm shrimp, at least in my tanks. As far as fish go, I've kept red cherry shrimp with various types of Corydoras and also Celestial Pearl Danios, and have had thriving populations of shrimp. Beyond that, I think you're taking a pretty big risk.

verbal

CCA Members
From my experience with Red Cherry Shrimp:
Snails, Plecos - etc - no predation that I can tell
Guppies(and probably endlers) and densely planted tanks - adults seem to survive diminished but significant numbers of young
Random juvie cichlid - they cichlid grows really well - there usually are some shrimp left(not that I recommend this deliberately if your focus is shrimp)

Becca

Members
If you want to do shrimp and fish, get your population of shrimp going strong before you add any fish that might eat them and make sure they have plenty of hiding places - moss, cholla wood, leaf litter, etc. You can actually buy little condos/huts for shrimp that may help with this.

Rachel was telling a few people at CatCon that her shrimp do better in tanks with some small fish and the populations really seem to boom.

I've had luck with CPDs, danio choprae, and white clouds in shrimp tanks.