• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

___ Geophagus? Or Just Someone With A Sence Of Humor?

cyradis4

Members
Hi!

I've been looking at some Scientific names recently, and I noticed a pattern. I'm wondering if there is a reason. The fish I've noticed have kinda a similar body type too. But way different sizes in the case of some.....

They are
Mikrogeophagus, either Ramirezi or Altispinosus
Mikrogeophagus_ramirezi_8.jpg

Mikrogeophagus_altispinosus_4.jpg

Gymnogeophagus Balzanii
tn_Gybal_m0.jpg

Geophagus sp Bahia Red
37e.jpg

Please note: None of these images are mine, though I do or have in the past kept all of these fish.

:blink: :happy0007:

mscichlid

Founder
"The genus is currently polyphyletic and in need of further taxonomic revision. Some geophagine cichlids previously included in this genus have been reallocated to Gymnogeophagus or Satanoperca."
You should try to find that book of Geophagus...I think the title has Eartheaters in it.

Tim

Members
It's called "South American Eartheaters" and was distributed by Cichlid Press. I was looking at it online the other night and I'm planning on ordering a copy. I didn't see it listed on Cichlidpress.com though.
Tim