• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

LiluDallas

Chairpersons
Staff member
Hey Guys! Im cycling a 75 gallon. I was wondering if you have any stocking ideas/ suggestions. This is a non- planted aquarium. no cichlids or discus.

FishEggs

Nope. There are plenty of plants that don't require cO2 injection. Any low -mid light plants will do well without it. You just need to find the balance of enough light for the plants without too much to grow algae.

Zepp914

CCA Members
Do I have to have a CO2 tank to have plants?

No, but you will need to buy good lighting. Be warned, researching planted tank lighting can send you down a rabbit hole.

With low, but decent lighting you should be able to grow Java Fern, Java Moss, or Anubias. You can also grow floating plants like Duckweed easily (be warned Duckweed will take over your tank). If you are willing to buy some root tabs, you can get some easy stem feeders like Moneywort (AKA Creeping Jenny) or Water Wisteria.

Plants can become addictive though. I thought I'd be happy with the above, but I found myself buying better lightning, fertilizer, and seachem Excel so I can grow some red plants...

If you decide to give plants a try, make sure you clean them off before putting them in your tank. There are various suggestions on how to do this by mixing water and peroxide or bleach. I have tried both ways and still ended up with bladder snail eggs, so don't ask me for advice.

Nope. There are plenty of plants that don't require cO2 injection. Any low -mid light plants will do well without it. You just need to find the balance of enough light for the plants without too much to grow algae.

This is the trial and error I am still going through with my new tank.