• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

75 gallon stock options

cmcpart0422

Members
Hey im getting a 75 gallon and I want some ideas on what to put in it. I want it to be a community tank with some fun colors. I will be putting the 8 demasoni that I have in my 30 long into the 75. if you guys could recommend some species and numbers to go in that would be great. Thanks!

mscichlid

Founder
Ah, I see you have decided on African cichlids. There are plenty folks here that keep those fish. Pat is a demasoni expert!

SubMariner

Master Jedi & Past VP
I would suggest more Mbuna. Pick your flavor because they're so colorful. The dwarf ones are best.

Richard

Sonny Disposition

OK. Remember, when dealing with Mbuna, you do so at your own risk. Based on my experience with with Pseudotropheus sp. "Long pelvic" and Melanochromis "maingano," I would go with three or four of the demasoni, and a half dozen or so Melanochromis.

Since the demasoni are blue, for the Melanochromis, I'd go with that old favorite, Melanochromis aureatus. Dark/black males with yellow/white striped females. Those should contrast very nicely with the blue demasoni.

Put lots and lots of rocks on a bare bottom tank, and build an artificial reef. Pile the rocks as high as you dare, without them toppling over. Then, put a half inch or so of sand on the bottom, just to cover it. (You don't want rocks on top of a lot of substrate, or your Mbuna may dig a hole under the rocks, which might cause them to fall and break the tank glass.

Also, before you put the rocks down, lay some egg crate on the bottom of the tank, to distribute the weight of the rocks, and as a barrier in case you're goofy enough to drop one. (It happens. Believe me, I know.)

The big high rock pile will make for an imposing tank decoration. It will be like a coral reef. The fish will hide, but will come out often enough to make things interesting--just like a coral reef tank.

Plus, the hiding places will probably (remember, there are no guarantees) keep your fish from killing each other.

cmcpart0422

Members
thanks for the info. I already have the demasoni so i will be putting them all in there. But as for the tank and the decoration it all sounds great.

Sonny Disposition

The main thing with mbunas--other than a good spirulina wafer--is to give them lots of compartments to hide in, so they don't kill each other.

The other thing is, when the weather gets warm, you can fill a rock pile and water to raise the young in. Grazing on the algae will make for good color.

Andrew

Members
Species tank! I think you'll enjoy the fish you have more, even if there's only one kind. Especially that kind.

maddog10

Members
I agree with Andrew, a single species mbuna tank would be cool. That is how I kept the Cynotilapia afras that I had. Start with a dozen fish and lots of nooks and crannies, you will have 30-40 in no time. The tank will constantly be in motion with males fighting to determine dominance and breeding will be happening all the time as well. Great tank to sit and watch, never a dull moment.

Sonny Disposition

Fry are another story. I discovered two baby sp. "Long Pelvic" when I tore the tank down to re-do it for the rhabdotus. In general, most will get picked off. A small minority may survive.

You can have a display tank, for show, or you can have a backroom tank for breeding. For the latter, you need hiding places that can be easily removed, so you can net out the holding females. Pieces of broken flowerpots, and lengths of PVC pipe.

I also saw an ad in TFH for plastic artificial rocks. I've never tried them and don't know how they look or how well they work, but it's another idea.

so I can just build a rock pile and they will spit the fry into it and they will survive?