• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

75 gallon new world

Ading522

Members
So I'm thinking of keeping a nice community or species only tank after my acrylic projects are up and running.. I will have a spare 75 to run.. I was thinking a school of geophagus and some nice plecos..anyone one here have stocking options? I would like some input..they'll be the second new worlds I will keep as I have kept firemouths and convicts just before I entered into the rift lake species.. I'm loving the rift lakes, but want to keep another variety.. Let me know what you guys think! Thanks!

Sent from my Xoom using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Ading522

Members
I think you could probably do red head tapajos and a nice group of plecos. They gymnos are very nice, but if you are doing the cool down period in tank, it limits your pleco choices.

What do you mean by cool down period?

dogofwar

CCA Members
Gymnogeos come from (semi-tropical) Uruguay, which means that it gets cool in the winter. The fish do much better with a period of cool in the winter - think Florida for an example.

This is as easy as unplugging (or not using) the heater and/or keeping them in a cool room or location. I keep mine on the lowest rack of my fishroom and they get down to the mid-low 60s in the winter for a couple of months.

Just about every waterway in Uruguay has at least a couple of plecos: many are Ancistrus species. but lots of others as well.

Of course none of the true Uruguayan ones are in the hobby but I've got to believe that (based on being invasive throughout Florida, Mexico and lots of other places that get below tropical temps) they many can hang at lower temps...

Matt

What do you mean by cool down period?

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Good point on the plecos, Jesse.

Aldrich, gymnogeos mainly come from Uruguay, which has a climate that is very similar to the southern US. Temperatures in their winter do get cooler, so the fish in the native habitat have adjusted to a colder water in the winter (down in the the low 60's, I believe). Most folks who have successfully kept and bred these fish in captivity simulate the cool down period (usually by not heating the tanks and keeping them in a cooler part of their house/fish room).

Matt has collected in Uruguay several times and keeps many different species from there. Hopefully he'll chime in with some first hand experience.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Simultaneously no less :)

Many cory cats prefer cooler temps as well...

Here's a link from Felipe's website with an assortment of Uruguayan plecos, cories, Pims, Calicthys, etc. : http://www.aqvaterra.com/cichlids_others_catfishes.php

Anyone tried keeping bristlenose at lower temps (say mid-60s). They'd, of course, stop breeding (maybe!) and eat less but probably do just fine.

Matt

Ading522

Members
Thanks for all the input Matt and Jon.. I was researching about those cool down periods and the ear theater category for new worlds.. Like I said I'm planning to keep a group,and wouldn't the gymnogeos be too big? I'd really like to keep them in the 75 and MAYBE upgrade to a 90/120 next year.. I was thinking maybe to overstock my 75 with 8-10 redheads and a nice group of 6 cories and then a nice pleco or two? Would that be too much? I read redheads are more readily tolerant to water parameters and are more easy to keep for first timers than other kinds of eartheaters.. Advice?

dogofwar

CCA Members
Gymnogeophagus max out at maybe 6"...and take a long, long time to get that big. 75g is plenty for a pair or two substrate spawners like Norte or Blue Neon and a group of the mouthbrooders (say 1-2m and 4-5f) and some cories, tetras, etc.

For some reason the concept of a cool down in the winter (i.e. turn off the heater) totally freaks a lot of people out.

Matt

Ading522

Members
what i mean by water parameters was the quality of water.. i do water changes faithfully, but not familiar with softness/hardness of the water and just afraid i'd kill my fishes like that.. im lucky rift lakes like hard water.. arent new worlds more of a softer water content?

dogofwar

CCA Members
I use tap water for water changes for my entire fishroom, including the Uruguayan stuff. The water in most places that we measured (in Uruguay) was neutral to slightly alkaline with moderate hardness. Like local tap :)

Water characteristics vary widely across South and Central America. I've kept and bred lots of fish from both in local tap, including Geos and all sorts of Central Americans...

Water changes and low levels of nitrogenous waste are key (so clean your filters ;0)...

Matt

what i mean by water parameters was the quality of water.. i do water changes faithfully, but not familiar with softness/hardness of the water and just afraid i'd kill my fishes like that.. im lucky rift lakes like hard water.. arent new worlds more of a softer water content?

Ading522

Members
I use tap water for water changes for my entire fishroom, including the Uruguayan stuff. The water in most places that we measured (in Uruguay) was neutral to slightly alkaline with moderate hardness. Like local tap :)

Water characteristics vary widely across South and Central America. I've kept and bred lots of fish from both in local tap, including Geos and all sorts of Central Americans...

Water changes and low levels of nitrogenous waste are key (so clean your filters ;0)...

Matt

thanks matt!! any local breeder you know around here that have redheads for sale?