• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

55gallon Cichlid tank

ErnieG

Members
3.5" black convict male
1" black convict female
6" jack dempsey male
5" jack dempsey female
2 2.5" texas cant sex them yet
3.5" severum cant tell sex
3.5" red devil i think its a male

They all seem to get along great but i figured they would because i did this once before about 2years ago with slighty different fish. There is no real dominate fish in the tank but they respect one another.

I want to breed something but which should I breed? Or should I just sit back and see how this interesting tank turns out?

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Bill is spot on with the RD and the texas being trouble before too long, and the sev will end up getting beaten. You might be able to get away with a JD pair and a con pair in a 55, but it really isn't that much room. I'd pick whatever pair you want to keep and move the others. They'll eventually sort it out themselves, but that probably means a single RD or the pair of JD's and everything else beaten up.

ErnieG

Members
Bill is spot on with the RD and the texas being trouble before too long, and the sev will end up getting beaten. You might be able to get away with a JD pair and a con pair in a 55, but it really isn't that much room. I'd pick whatever pair you want to keep and move the others. They'll eventually sort it out themselves, but that probably means a single RD or the pair of JD's and everything else beaten up.

I hear you guys, its been 2weeks and they all get along. Of course you have your lip locking and small battles but everyone is holding their ground and no one gets bullied, im not keeping in this tank forever i would like for my flowerhorn to pair up with my red devil. I sold the severum and picked up a 2.5" beautiful flowerhorn from petsmart lol they have them marked as red texas cichlids how ignorant those guys are when it comes to fish are ridiculous and their selling them for $7.99

ErnieG

Members
Well i made some changes to this 55gal cichlid tank, i now have:
Jackdempsey pair
3.5" Convict male
2 2.5" texas cichlids ( cant tell sex)

The jackdempsey pair lick locks some time and seems to be ready to spawn but no real surface cleaning activity going on. The female seems to want to breed but the male it not showing alot of interest but he likes her, The male convict and one of the texas cichlids seems to flirt im watching them and cant wait to see how this turns out.

blkmjk

Members
Is this a 4' tank?

Careful with the con and the texas they can and will pair then it will be mayhem for the other fish. Overstocked always works for me but you do get aggression issues. Post up some pictures. Good luck!

Drew

ErnieG

Members
I dont really have a problem with the convict and texas pairing, its not like it was a plan for them to breed. If they do breed i will keep the offspring to my self but i made another change to the tank. I now have a pair of firemouth cichlids and i have the texas and convict male, this tank is interesting i think the convict and texas will pair off i will get pics up when i can. Once again all i have in the 55gallon now is a pair of firemouths and the convict/texas semi pair.