• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

55g convict tank mate opinions

hotwingz

Members
So i have a 55 long with 4 female convicts, and i want something else in there. I have two penguin350's so filtrations is no problem. I wanted to put some bolivian rams and maybe something else. Ive always wanted to do angels! Could that even be a consideration???

Sent from my PG86100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I wouldn't try rams with convicts. Maybe try a firemouth, centrarchus, or another smaller central american. If you want to do angels and rams, rehome the convicts and do a tank with the other two.

hotwingz

Members
Ok i wasnt so sure the angels would do well with the cons. But we had the rams in with 5 cons in a 29bf. And everyone was happy untill one of females turnes out to be a male...then we seperated them and left only the parents. We have the rams in our community tank right now and they arent very happy. So i wanted to put them back with the cons. But its a big tank with a couple small fish and i want to fill it up some.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
why don't you want a male? Coolest thing about those fish istheir parenting behavior IMO.

hotwingz

Members
No i agree! I think its cool! And the colors are amazing. But the parents got over agressive and would have killed the other three if we hadnt taken them out. Now we did move them to a 4' tank, will that help. If we build them a little cave to spawn in. Should they leave the others alone for the most part.

hotwingz

Members
How do i go about letting a male or two in the tank, and not have issues.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I'd just add one male. He will pick a mate and spawn. With enough cover, the others may be okay, but be prepared to remove them if they get nasty. More than one pair will be death for the left over females.

Hawkman2000

Members
I have a 1 pair of firemouths, 1 pair of convicts, 1 pair of cutteri, 3 barbs, 2 yoyo loach, and 1 ABN in a 46 bf. The convicts continually spawn. The cutteri haven't spawn yet (new additions) but they did for previous servant. The male firemouth seems content in beating on the female firemouth. The rest of them just flare up at eachother and dance a little, but no serious damage.

I know its overstocked. The firemouths will probably be relocated.

I think that if you create 2 or 3 pieces of property with housing, 2 or 3 similar sized pairs would be ok. The aggression between them might even aid breeding.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Two pairs of med-sized CA's (cons, cutteri, Thoricthys, etc.) can usually co-exist in a 4' 55g. Just put a flowerpot on each side of the tank...and some stuff in the middle as a site break.

Matt

hotwingz

Members
Ok, that seems logical. Now what do you guys usually do with the fry.

hotwingz

Members
Ok...so if i put the male back with the four females in my 4' as long as i build enough places for them. I shouldnt have issues. Even if i put in additional fish, and of a different species????? Sorry if i sound ignorant im just trying to make sure i understand perfectly before i put my fish in harms way.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
With enough hiding spots and sight breaks, the other females could be okay. I'd wait until you have a couple of hours to watch the tank off and on to make sure there isn't any violence. You may be able to add another fish or two. If add them first before the pair has a chance to establish a territory.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

hotwingz

Members
They were all ok together before tje two paired up and spawned. I just want to error on the side of caution. Plus id like to have other fish besides just the few convicts. So no spawing would best. But the fish dont look or act as nice with out.