• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

5 Gallon Stocking

zackcrack00

Members
So...

I am setting up a tank for my Aunt, and I was wondering about stocking. She doesn't care what is in it, as long as it has fish. It's a five-gallon with sand and fake plants.

I was thinking:

- 2 Kuhli Loaches
- 3 Solid Color Male Guppies (1 Yellow, 1 Blue, 1 Red)
- 1 Male Sailfin Black Molly

I thought that this stocklist would really show off the bright colors of the fish. What do you think?

zackcrack00

Members
What about 6 kuhlis instaed of 2? I was just worried about over-stocking, because she will only do WCs onbce every two weeks.

daninmd

Members
A 5g is too small for kuhli loaches in my opinion. 10g is probably too small, would recommend a 20g for them.

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
5 fancy guppies and a badis or other small fish would work well. I wouldn't put in the kuhlis. They are very active and like to be in large groups (at least 5).

halak

Members
My daughter has 8 kuhliis and a lonely zebra danio in a 5 gallon tank. The substrate is sand. The kuhliis don't need much space to swim around and seem to be happy (active).

Zack, I have a really nice 5 gallon Chi tank. It's very pretty and little work. I have it planted with easy plants like anubias and thin leaf java fern and white sand with a nice piece of wood. It has red cherry shrimp in it only. They are very cute and active and interesting with mommas with eggs, little babies, all sizes, etc. They don't need a lot of care and I'd think once very other week water changes would be OK. Not fish, but very interesting none-the-less.

Othewise, I'd suggest micro fish like Rachel has, mini rasboras and the like.