• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

3rd times a charm!

spazmattik

Members
So my red isletas spawned for the 3rd time since picking them up at AM2.. first batch did not make it to free swimmers. 2nd batch did but the population slowly dwindled. Not sure if it was the parents, the filter, the pleco or the neighbor on the other side of the egg crate divider. This time i am going to pull the fry and put them in a tank with a sponge filter. I kind of have to do this since i am breaking down this tank and setting up my new and larger tank ;)

Not only did my red isletas spawn, but my trimacs did too! They should produce some good genes as my nicest trimac from dan paired up with a male i got from drew, in which he got from tparker. His mom was from skips line and the father from mikes cichlids.

Good week :cool:

spazmattik

Members
Thanks Jon, thanks Jesse. Ill need some luck at this point lol.

Well i came home for lunch and the trimac eggs are gone already. Lol

As for the red isletas though, would it be fine to pull them as soon as rhey become free swimmimg? Been a few days already. I thought they would be free swimming by now. Maybe tomorrow. If they are by tomorrow can i move them sunday or should i leave them with the parents for a few days?

jonclark96

Past CCA President
If I am trying to save fry, I'll pull them when they are wigglers. Once they go free swimming, they are harder to catch.

spazmattik

Members
Jon I wish i would have gotten to follow your advice! I planned on making the switch on saturday and then we had a leak! Not from a fish tank though thank god.. (washer)

I ended up having to pull this off sunday and of course they became free swimming saturday night..I thought i might be able to siphon them but i was wrong lol. i pulled most out and seperated from the parents but i did move about 30-40 or so in to the new tank and the parents kept tending to them like nothing ever happened. I was really suprised it went that well.

spazmattik

Members
update

So the batch of babies this post was about are getting bigger. More pics of the parents here spawning for the 4th time in one picture and some babies from that batch are visible in one of the pics. Going to have red isletas everywhere soon. These guys breed like crazy.

babies.jpg

isletasmaLE.jpg

IMG_1235.jpg

IMG_1147.jpg