• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

37 Gallon Eclipse

CichlidOWNR

Members
The size is not ideal for Mbuna. I have a 36G that I have Saulosi in that is working right now. Doesn't mean that there will be issues latter on. I choose Saulosi for their color for both the male and female, they are considered a dwarf species, and was doing a species only tank. They have been lots of fun to watch. I also choose them since the will give me more time to save up for a bigger tank.

Would suggest to wait and look for a great deal on a larger tank. With this said the Saulosi should work for a while (if you get them as juveniles) in that size from my experience so far.

verbal

CCA Members
It however a fine tank for shellies if you want to do African cichlids. Also there are a number of west african dwarfs what will work.

For New World most of the dwarf cichlids would be fine and it would be a nice angel tank.

Hawkman2000

Members
If you want I can give you the link to a modification I did to my eclipse that eliminates the use of the filter cartriges (plug up realy fast)and increases biological load. Never have to buy cartriges again.

69cichlids

Members
If you want I can give you the link to a modification I did to my eclipse that eliminates the use of the filter cartriges (plug up realy fast)and increases biological load. Never have to buy cartriges again.

What is that site? I hate my eclipse filters on my 70gal

Sent from my SCH-I500 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Hawkman2000

Members
Its not on a site. I came up with it mysetf.

Don't know if it would work on a 70. The Eclipse 3 has the cartridges horizontaly. What cartridges does the one on your 70 use?

This has been working FANTASTIC for me for about a year now. Water is crytsal clear, and I only have to clean the foam once a month (if that).

Heres what I did.

I took 1 package of Fluval 405 foam, and cut 1/3 of a strip off length wise. 405 foam is the perfect length for this so you don't have to cut the width.

Carefully shave off the blue floss from the rite size cartridge and dispose (or use) the carbon.

Place Seachem Matrix in the slots on the cartridge.

Place cartridge in filter slot. (I turn the pump off whenever I remove or reinstall the cartridge, keeps the debis in the foam)

Place one full piece of 405 foam and 1/3 of a piece together ontop of the cartridge.

Your done.

Images of what I did.

BTW - I stoped ussing the rubber bands.

Eclipse Filter Modification 001.jpg

Eclipse Filter Modification 002.jpg

Eclipse Filter Modification 003.jpg

Eclipse Filter Modification 004.jpg

Eclipse Filter Modification 005.jpg

Eclipse Filter Modification 006.jpg

Eclipse Filter Modification 007.jpg

Eclipse Filter Modification 008.jpg

69cichlids

Members
I think its two of the 3's. It came with the tank with I bought it. Im not a huge fan with the filters they seem to clog up and even with rinsing them off it seems I can only do that maybe 3 times max. I'll have to give this a try...did you fill the tray up with rock?

verbal

CCA Members
I think its two of the 3's. It came with the tank with I bought it. Im not a huge fan with the filters they seem to clog up and even with rinsing them off it seems I can only do that maybe 3 times max. I'll have to give this a try...did you fill the tray up with rock?

According to the post:

Place Seachem Matrix in the slots on the cartridge.

Hawkman2000

Members
The 20L/29/37 Eclipse 3 uses Rite Size H cartriges.

Andrew - Are you sure its an eclipse style system, with the filter/lighting built into the plastic hood. Just trying to make sure this would work for you. If the cartridges go in verticaly, this won't work.

However, if they do go in verticaly, the mod I came up with for my 350 should work. Take a pic of the area where the cartridges go in and post it. What we are looking for is to see if it have 2 slots on each side.

Just make sure you use a dechlorinator like Prime if your not going to use carbon anymore. That or RO water.

You'll have to place the Matrix in the tray in piece by piece, just so it fits.

I've though about glueing some kind of mesh over the tray to make maintanance easier.

69cichlids

Members
Here are the pics sorry it took a bit. The stand isn't finished yet still need to put trim on the top and bottom. As you can see there are 2 filters and then in the second photo its a picture of the filter pad

uploadfromtaptalk1352678162358.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1352678175728.jpg

Hawkman2000

Members
This mod should work for you. You could also use other types of foam. Just make sure that it isn't too thick or is designed for biological, this needs mechanical foam, like the fluval 405 foam.

I you have any questions, let me know.

If anyone else is interested in a similar mod for certain penguins, let me know.

69cichlids

Members
Well I cleaned my tank and stripped a few female williamis blue lips and then made that mod...i grabbed the only foam my local petsmart had for the 405 and I'm thinking its to coarse ill give it a bit but I'm thinking maybe cutting a polishing pad or something not as coarse and put it under the pad I have on it now

Hawkman2000

Members
I ried that once because I had the same concern. Plugged up to fast, so I just let it run and clouding cleared up after a few days. Haven't had a problem since.

69cichlids

Members
A lot better it's not getting full of crap and the tank looks pretty clean, still need to get some of that rock looking stuff in it but still good...thank you!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App