• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

2 complete tank setups

LostAcres

Members
I am cutting down on my discus hobby and only keeping one tank. I have a 55g and a 75g -- complete setups. These tanks have nice wooden cabinet stands, filters, hoods, lights, basically everything included but water and fish. THere are three filters in total.

90$ takes the 55 g, 100$ takes the 75g. This is a great deal for someone. Location: Northern Va area, Near Front Royal/WInchester/Linden/Marshall etc. Please PM me if interested

danger_chicken

Swim Fishy Swim!
Then will probably see them listed again soon. There is a guy buying up all the tanks he can and then raising the price and relisting it. He has been driving local prices on used tanks up for some time now.

He usually uses a heart or puts the price at $ "X"99 something.

Any of these look like what you just sold?

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/for/1871481038.html

he contacted me about my w/d offering me dirt for it. It'll rot before I sell to him. Well it's acrylic so it wont rot but it'll get burried in dust first.

YSS

Members
he contacted me about my w/d offering me dirt for it. It'll rot before I sell to him. Well it's acrylic so it wont rot but it'll get burried in dust first.

You should tell him that you will sell it to him and when he shows up, say that you just sold it to someone else.

Mean? Yes, but that's exactly what he did to me a few year ago when I was naive and didn't know better. And he said, to make up for it, I will give you a good deal on my discus and sold me bunch of sick discus. He is truly a scumb bag.

Wow. I never thought of that, I think I'll list my 125 up this monday so he can hump to Frederick in workday traffic. :)

I HAVE been flagging him anytime I see him as overposting (thats posting something for too much money right ?) if we all flagged him when we saw him it would put a nice dent in his ability to get rid of his inventory.....

MarkK

CCA Members
I don't really see a problem here. A guy buys low and sells high. Sounds like the American way. If you list a 55 complete setup for $90, and sell it and some guy buys it and lists it for $250 so what? A buyer can choose to buy or not.

Maybe we should have a members-only marketplace, if we want to keep undesirable buyers out, but again, buying and selling is the American way.

resell

He is an asian guy who lives about 2 mile from Redskin Park in Ashburn, off Ryan Road, who uses Sterling and Reston most of the time on his posts. The 2 set ups ended up in Greencastle Pa. He does buy up all the great deals out there and resells from his basement.

The problem that I have with him is that he mis-represents the condition of the equipment, making it seem like he is selling equipment he has used. He has also driven up the prices for aquariums all across the board. If he is such an entrepenuer let him start up his own aquarium store, not just take advantage of CL.

sfdvlam

Members
I also saw this post and was wondering where he got all these tanks from and now I know. Thanks for the post. In my opinion, I have moved many times in the past and I had sold tanks cheap to beginners who would benefit from the tank and not trying to make money on them because I know what it feels like to have a fish tank.

Seeing this guy raising the price and making it expensive kinda rub me the wrong way but again, buying and selling is the American way and I agree totally.

As a member I would rather help out a member by clearing out his/her inventory..so there is my opinion.

MAV75

Members
I did get a 125g tank set up from this guy, I ended up getting a good deal from him because I negotiated the price. I saw his basement and garage and I lost count at about 30 set ups. He does seem to use some of the tanks, but some of them were set up with just water, I guess to show people they don't leak. I gave him the benefit of the doubt, I thought he was just a fellow hobbyist down on his luck because of the economy, now I know and won't be going back. Thanks.

Yah, that is how he trys to make it sound. Like I said, if he is such a capitalist, let him open a store or at least be more honest about just being a reseller for profit.

I have absolutely no problem with "the american way" , I owned my own computer shop for many years, and made good profits. However, everyone that came into my shop knew we were a 'for profit' store.

YSS

Members
Deceiving your customers for profit is NOT the American way although almost all of the large corporations do this. American way is working hard to realize your dreams.

Peacockbass

You guys really need to give this guy a break. He is only doing what every single person or company in world has done. find a cheap supply and sell for profit. just because he uses tanks and you see it first hand. does not make him different from the thousands of others buying and selling things from craigslist. Just look its happening everywhere not just craigslist. Its called fliping and i love to see it. in todays world anyway to make a few extra bucks looks good in my eyes. Times are hard give the guy a break. maybe we can start flagging every post on craigslist where someone is making money. thats just crazy

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
I'm fine with him flipping tanks.* Watching Craigslist like a hawk, running around and moving them; walking them out of people's basements and then cleaning and storing them is a pain in the butt. Think about it. It's a lot of effort for an occasional bite. In the end, he may end up with a lot of tanks that he cannot sell. There is risk involved with what he's doing.

*It just seems a bit weedy that he needs to make comments about "downsizing" or "getting out of the hobby." I mean, why blatantly lie? It's not like he's really gaining anything significant by making those comments.

Peacockbass

Well theres plenty of salesman and ads on tv that blatantly lie. every day. I am not saying its right but it is excepted in todays society. and i dont think we should single him out for it. and yes he is gaining whatever profit makes. There is risk involved in any money venture we go into. sometimes you make out in the end sometimes you dont

YSS

Members
You guys really need to give this guy a break. He is only doing what every single person or company in world has done. find a cheap supply and sell for profit. just because he uses tanks and you see it first hand. does not make him different from the thousands of others buying and selling things from craigslist. Just look its happening everywhere not just craigslist. Its called fliping and i love to see it. in todays world anyway to make a few extra bucks looks good in my eyes. Times are hard give the guy a break. maybe we can start flagging every post on craigslist where someone is making money. thats just crazy

Most people don't have problem with this guys trying to make money. It's his deception that we don't like. Just because it happens everywhere doesn't mean we have to accept it or like it.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Well theres plenty of salesman and ads on tv that blatantly lie. every day. I am not saying its right but it is excepted in todays society. and i dont think we should single him out for it. and yes he is gaining whatever profit makes. There is risk involved in any money venture we go into. sometimes you make out in the end sometimes you dont

Go buy a tank from him then.

Maybe I'm the exception, but I just don't like liars. Blatant dishonesty is not something that I can "just accept."

meh. :rolleyes:

(Edit: Sorry, walked away from my computer and saw Yun's response.... same as what he said.)

Last edited: