• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

180 Malawi Substrate

Which substrate for the 180 Hap/Mbuna setup?

• Beige/natuiral sand (crushed coral in sump)

Votes: 10 58.8%
  • Black sand (crushed coral in sump)

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Beige and black mixed 2:1 (coral still in sump)

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Throw 'em all in there! (we wouldn't want the coral to get lonely, would we?)

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
So I have the Craigslist 180 reef-ready brought in, cleaned up, painted black, stand cleaned up, power fixed up, wet/dry sump built. Basically all ready to go.

To the point that the grow-out tank fish that will be added are huddling in the fish room talking over survival strategies, while the veterans in the 110 are talking over their favorite juvie hap recipes. Good times....

Anyway, the tank will be set up tomorrow and I will post pics when we're done.

I've thought of just about everything, but cannot figure out one detail. I was reading Koning's Back to Nature earlier tonight and he mentions darker sand being better for colors and general demeanor, especially with higher lighting.

In terms of lighting, I have two 48" double strip lights on the 110 (4 tubes total... yeah, a lot for that, but it's stupid tall). I was going to use these, each starting at one end and overlapping in the center 2' of the 6' tank. Being 24" wide, the lighting shouldn't be too intense, especially the ends of the tanks, where the rock features will be. I also will keep a couple of the giant pieces of anubias, which have grown into the rocks.

Anyway, I have about 2 1/2 big bags of natural colored/pool-filter colored sand (white-beige) and 1 1/2 bags of black sand. I also have about 20# of crushed coral that I was going to put in the sump to buffer the water while allowing for digging in the sand.

Should I add the black sand now and get some more black sand to fill in a bit or stick with the original plan and go with the tan/whitish sand? Mixed? How about the crushed coral? Throw that in too?

For now, the tank will be mixed haps/mbuna/(one lonely frontosa and his tropheus friend). Once some folks grow out, the tank will eventually go all large predatory haps.

Sorry for the long post. Thanks for reading (if you're still there).

Last edited:

F8LBITE

Members
I like the look of natural colored sand with a black backround, the colors stand out nicely and you can see all the poop and you can syphon it up. Black sustrate looks cool but Ive never had it so my vote is for light colored/natural sand.

Tony

Thanks for the input, Jose. Yeah, always been using regular pet store gravel and only recently started using sand with the cichlids. I like it.

fischfan13

Banned
Tony, I would either use the dark sand AND the crushed coral or...
...throw down the natural sand first, the dark sand next and then scatter the crushed coral over it.
Darker sand is better for Malawis, IMO, and it will bring out their colors. Some lighter sand will wash their colors away...this happens not only because the substrate is so light but also because the reflection of the light hitting the substrate makes it much too bright for the fish.

longstocking

Members
Black on black.... IMO not good. It will make them too dark...

Go with the light. If you had a lighter back ground I would tell you to go with the black.

Cartel

Members
I have a black back 46g with black sand and its just too black for my taste. My 75g has a black painted back with white 3m sand, and some darkish rocks. It looks money to me. Dont get me wrong its bright though. I also have trouble spotting the poop in the black sand one so the white sand one forces me to clean it because it stick out so much. I cant comment on the color of the fish though since both tanks just have grow outs so everyone dark!

Lemme see if i have pics

Edit: Here is an old pick of the 75g but you get the idea. Cand find any of the 46g.
SDC10570.jpg

Last edited:

Tony

How's the new setup looking?

It is awesome. Finished up around 1:30 last night. I honestly wish I could be at home right now, fiddling with the tank. Thanks so much for your help, Mike. I owe you one. :)

Went with the whit sand..looks very nice. I'll post up pics on a separate post when I get a chance this afternoon.

Thanks everyone for their great input. You guys rock! :D

SubMariner

Master Jedi & Past VP
It is awesome. Finished up around 1:30 last night. I honestly wish I could be at home right now, fiddling with the tank. Thanks so much for your help, Mike. I owe you one. :)

Went with the whit sand..looks very nice. I'll post up pics on a separate post when I get a chance this afternoon.

Thanks everyone for their great input. You guys rock! :D

Cool! Can't wait to see it. ;)))