• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

180 gallon

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Are you looking to do Old World or New World cichlids?

I have a 180 with a mostly Central American "community" of sorts. I have a mix of larger fish (paratheraps sp catemaco, JD, maculicauda) as well as some smaller growing centrals (centrarchus, firemouth). I have two more aggressive South Americans (severum & GT) that don't play well with my other SA's.

Cbster

Members
I am not quite sure what the difference between old and new I will have to do some research on that.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Old World are the typically the fish from the Rift Lakes in Africa. New World are from South and Central America. Each group has their differences and typically do not do well when mixed together.

Cbster

Members
Got you I was thinking probably african cichlids or maybe discus. I had discus before in a planted tank until the pressureized co2 went crazy and killed them. Do you still have to use ro/di water for discus or are they breed in captivity enough for just using tap water?

verbal

CCA Members
I think african cichlids would probably be a better option for you. I think your tank would be great for large haps. With your tank size, I would start with a few groups of a dozen small ones. You would have to thin as they age, but people are always looking for nice male haps.

It could be an awesome tank for mbuna or discus, but the stocking would be a lot more costly.