• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

180 gallon stocking

verbal

CCA Members
My first thought on stocking my 180 gallon tank is going with a loose South American theme.

My first question is how "terrible" are Green Terrors.

Would they work with things like Silver Dollars, Severums and Earth-eaters?

jonclark96

Past CCA President
A lot depends on the individual. I've kept them in community settings with pretty decent success. I have found them to be more aggressive towards other GT's than anything else. I would think you would be fine with sevs and some of the more robust geos, like brasiliensis and stienies. I wouldn't try them with any of the satanoperca species.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
I have a pair of gts in with silver dollars, a Dempsey, and other ca/sa cichlids without problems... for now anyways.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Green Terrors in a 180 with Sevs and brasiliensis-type eartheaters would be great.

They might be a little spicy for, say, jurupari-types.

And get punked by Central Americans like salvini, managuenis, dovii, etc.

Matt

neut

Members
It does depend on the individual ime, though I've found the domestic tank raised strain of especially the 'gold saum' type to generally be peaceable. I've had adults that were no problem when I added small severums and had one once that was buddies with a severum to the extent that it was depressed for a few weeks after the GT died (at about 10 yrs old). In fact, while it's not something I'd recommend or do personally, I even saw one with discus once without any stress to the discus-- and discus make it fairly obvious when they're stressed.

On the other hand, I've had wild GTs, also, and they lived up to their name, too aggressive for even my African tanks.

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
IVE HAD A PAIR DO FINE IN A COMMUNITY TANK WITH NO ISSUES. JAGS, FREDDIES, AND GRAMMODES GOT ALONG WITH THEM FINE. I LIKE THE WAY THEY COLOR UP.

Hawkman2000

Members
Get an electric blue JD (male if possible). If he is the only JD in the tank, and has his own hiding place, he should be compatible. (maybe) Would be interesting to watch anyways.

I recently rescued a f-brasilensis. She was in REALLY bad shape. I have nursed her back to health (still needs to grow back her tail). I don't know if I want to keep her though.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I'd think a 180 would quickly become too small for pbass... and a group of dovii would probably become a pair that kills everything in a 180g...

Matt

Any interest in some peacock bass or if you really want to go hardcore get a nice wolf pack (dovii) and grow them out.

verbal

CCA Members
Get an electric blue JD (male if possible). If he is the only JD in the tank, and has his own hiding place, he should be compatible. (maybe) Would be interesting to watch anyways.
I may get an electric blue JD at some point, but I don't think this would be the tank for it.