• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

150g Stocking ideas.

I am going to be setting up a 150 downstars as the backdrop to my desk, and I want to be very careful about what I put in it. I am thinking of a single or dual species tank. If a single species, I would like something that gets large, and has at least semi attractive females. Not really into predators unless they can be fed standard food.

If I go the dual route I was thinking something like Hap. Obliquiqedens mixed with a colorful shellie. I could build a wall of rock in the back, or make a styro background, then put the shellies in the sand out front..

I am still a few months away from setting this up, but I want to start planning it now.

Priorities are

1) I want a species that is not seen often in this area.
2) Attractive
3) non-homicidal fish
4) Breedable

I am open to your sugestions.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I wouldn't mix obliquidents with shellies. The Vics will eat the shellies (or at least try).

Not often seen and attractive are in the eye of the beholder. Check out cichlidae.com or some books and find some fish that you like...and build a tank around them...

Good luck,
Matt

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Shellies aren't all that colorful either. Do you want to go Lake Malawi, Tang or Vic?

I don't know yet. I have a slow day at work today, going to browse through all of my books again and see if I get some ideas.

Ok, here is something to chew on. 150 gallon tank, back wall stacked to the top with large lava rocks. A medium size stack of rocks protrudes forwards in the center of the tank dividing it into 2 parts. Sand bottom.

2 males and 5-6 female Cyathopharynx Furcifer

Within the back wall will be caves that have openings too small for the C.furcifer but large enough for 9-10 Lamprologus leleupi.

Any thoughts?

cmcpart0422

Members
If you want tangs you could always go with fronts. Both males and females look nice and you can also keep some other fish with them and they get large.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
I've kept them in the past, but I want to try something different. If I go for large I may try one of the trout cichlids.

They won't play nice with Tangs.

I do like your idea with the featherfins, but don't know enough about them to tell you if it will work or not. A group of cyps would be cool to add to the featherfins and julies. It will add some action towards the top of the tank.

longstocking

Members
Ok, here is something to chew on. 150 gallon tank, back wall stacked to the top with large lava rocks. A medium size stack of rocks protrudes forwards in the center of the tank dividing it into 2 parts. Sand bottom.

2 males and 5-6 female Cyathopharynx Furcifer

Within the back wall will be caves that have openings too small for the C.furcifer but large enough for 9-10 Lamprologus leleupi.

Any thoughts?

not a good idea IMO.

How about a tank full of Petrochromis bulus :) Only 65.00 on AB :) They are not that nasty.... I would compare them to Trophs. Then add gobies and you have the best tank in town :) ... People will come over on a Friday night and stare for hours :lol:

ok second best ... :p