• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

125 mattenfilter?

toddnbecka

Members
When I get around to setting up the 125 I've been debating between a mattenfilter or a sump. Aside from the filter media being located either inside the tank or in a separate container (would a glass tank or a storage tote be preferable?) what other considerations do I need to look at?
I'm thinking an aquaclear 110 powerhead (900 gph max flow rate) behind the sponge media, along with a 110 hob and a hydrosponge to help pick up debris on the opposite end of the tank, should be a fairly easy setup to clean and maintain.
What would be the best setup for a sump, and what would I need to pump the water through? I presume the powerhead wouldn't be suitable for that purpose?

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
I think the benefits of a sump over a matten filter would be oxygenation (water trickling through a wet dry) and mechanical filtration (more flow through the sponge). Your 110 on the other side of the tank shoudl help with that though.

Matten filter would be way easier and cheaper as well.

If you were to a sump, I'd use a mid-size MAG pump for a return (MAG 7 or 9.5)