• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

A Stressful Weekend - Leaking Tanks and a Great LFS

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
With any tank, but in particular large tanks, they must be set up on a level surface. Almost any non level point will provide stress that, over time, will produce a strain on the tank that can eventually lead to a leak or even a crack. However, most tanks can take an eighth inch higher or lower corner and still not have a problem. In other words the bottom can have an eighth inch deviation in one corner when empty (big enough to put a wood ruler under that corner) but flattens out when filled with water, and yet never leaks in 10 years. I have at least three such tanks that are about 30 gallon size.

So use a level when setting up your stand to be sure the thing is level.

One thing you can do to help make sure there is minimum stress on the tank is to place a section of insulating foam cut to size under the tank. This building or insulating foam is about a half inch in thickness and is available at Lowe's and other hardware stores.

One other thing is that glass is a material that is cut by scratching it and then applying pressure to cause it to break at the scratch. If you have stress on the tank and it gets scratched (inside or out) by a stone or rock or even gravel, it can lead to a crack in the glass that can leak or worse.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
So, an interesting turn of events yesterday. I skipped water changes this weekend, and the tank has been subject to 10 days or so of drip leaking and evaporation. The water level has dropped about 1/2 of an inch or so, and the drip has stopped. I still can't see where the tank is leaking, but at least it has stopped.

Be on the lookout for a 180 in the marketplace that has a slow leak if you fill it all the way up...

Have you checked that the drip is caused by wicking on the top rim. If there is a micro separation on the top seal, water can wick upward by capillary suction and drip off on the outside. If you lower the water level below the seal and the drip stops, it appears to be wicking. If so, an easy fix is to apply a bead of silicone to reseal the top rim.

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
Have you checked that the drip is caused by wicking on the top rim. If there is a micro separation on the top seal, water can wick upward by capillary suction and drip off on the outside. If you lower the water level below the seal and the drip stops, it appears to be wicking. If so, an easy fix is to apply a bead of silicone to reseal the top rim.

Good point. My 10 gallon does this!

mchambers

Former CCA member
Back to Aquatic Creations. I was in the area yesterday, so stopped in. It's a nice little aquarium shop, with very clean tanks, reasonable prices, and helpful staff. If you're in the area (near I-270), it's definitely worth a visit.