• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

A Stressful Weekend - Leaking Tanks and a Great LFS

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I had a bit of a stressful fish related weekend.

A few weeks ago, I noticed some residue of water on the floor near the 180 gallon tank set up in my living room. I've got rock hard water, and it runs through a house softener system that leaves a pretty good salt ring when it evaporates, and I saw the salt ring on the floor. No big deal, I thought, as the tank houses some rather large fish that have a propensity to splash when feeding and the occasional chase after one another. I thought I just missed wiping up the splash and it had dried on the floor.

A week or so ago, the stain was back in the same spot. I wiped it up again, but it was a little damp this time.

Saturday, the spot was back, and I saw a single drip coming off the bottom corner of the tank. I went into full panic mode looking for a leak, but damn near everything is dry except the corner of the tank where the stain is. It does not appear to be an emergency, only dripping once every 15 minutes or so, but enough that I decided it is time to replace the tank.

I went through all of the thoughts about needing to drain the tank now and what to do with the fish in the tank. Needless to say, I don't have room in my other tanks to move many of the fish, including a w/c pair of amphilophus labiatus and 4 10" bocourti. I monitored the tank and the leak does not appear to be getting worse, so I decided that I'd just get a new tank ASAP and monitor the situation and hold on to the fish if possible.

On to finding a new tank. I called around to most of the local stores and searched the internet for pricing. Several stores had tanks available, but at prices higher than I wanted to pay, but my options were limited. Coincidently, chriscoli chriscoli and Andrewtfw Andrewtfw were up at the ACLC meeting at That Fish Place, so I asked them to check pricing on the 180 while they were there. Andrew recommended that I check with Aquatic Creations, a little store that is literally 5 minutes from my house that I hadn't even considered. Saturday afternoon I called over to the store to get pricing. Although they would have to order the tank, they quoted me a price that was pretty much the same as That Fish Place, and 2 hours closer to home. I told Bill, the Owner, that I'd be over on Sunday to place the order.

Yesterday afternoon, I ran over to the store to make the order. It had been a few years since I had been in the store, as they are focused on ponds but still have a decent selection of fish and supplies. It is a nice store, and while the livestock is mostly bread and butter community fish that sell well and can keep a LFS in business, the tanks are clean and the fish are healthy. They stock a decent amount of food, equipment, and décor, for ponds, freshwater, and saltwater set ups. I found Bill, introduced myself, and we went through what I was looking for. He went to price the tank again, and included a new stand and glass tops. After running through he order sheet again, he came back and quoted me a price on the tank that was $25 dollars cheaper than the quote he had given me less than 24 hours prior!

At the end of the day, I ordered a new 180 glass tank, stand, and tops for just under $1,200. They were super helpful, provided me with a better deal than any of the other local shops. If you are ever in the area, go check them out. The shop is in Urbana on 355, just south of Route 80.

Becca

Members
I love Aquatic Creations. I don't go often, but when I do it's always nice to have a chat with the owner. I've tried to convince him to set up a table at BFD before, to no avail. The prices at the store are fair and he knows his stuff.

Jon - if you ever need it for an emergency like this, we have a 100 gallon stock tank that you are welcome to borrow as temp housing for fish. We keep it for exactly this reason (and for summer tubbin'). With 3 monster tanks in the house, there absolutely needs to be somewhere for fish to go if one springs a leak.

finzz

Members
I feel your pain, Jon. Other than having a whole bunch of fish die off for reasons unknown, a large tank leaking water has got to be one of the biggest downsides of the hobby.

Years ago I got a call from my wife while I was at work telling me that she was standing in a half inch of water in the fish room and the 135 had almost no water left in it. Everything had been fine that morning, but evidently the tank that I'd bought used had been repaired (poorly) and I never caught it when I set it up. One of the long sides separated from the bottom glass and let the water run out like a hydrant. Thanks only to my wife's help, I only lost a couple fish, but what a mess!

Good luck with your tank replacement- hope it works out for the best

jonclark96

Past CCA President
This is the 2nd large tank that I've had that has leaked in the past 12 months. The last one was a 125, and thankfully I was home at the time that it happened and only dumped about 20 gallons before I caught it.

I think I am officially done with buying used large tanks.

Becca

Members
This is the 2nd large tank that I've had that has leaked in the past 12 months. The last one was a 125, and thankfully I was home at the time that it happened and only dumped about 20 gallons before I caught it.

I could join that club at this point, too.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
I had a small tank leak years ago as well as a large tank. This is why I only buy new tanks now. Buying a used tank is a gamble. Its not weather it leaked prior to buying it
but more of now that you transported it and set it up will it develop a leak.
None of my tanks leaked in my old room but putting them on new stands after so many years had me wondering.

Glad you caught it when it was still a drip. An no floor damage.

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
I agree with Pat, here. Moving tanks can cause leaks to start. They are on these stands with immense pressure for years without moving. The outside of the tank stays dry while the inside stays wet. The sealant can only last so long. I had a 55 gallon that leaked only after I moved it across the room. With pressure on the joints, it didn't leak. Once you released the pressure from the stand, the tank leaked in one of the corners. I had it 3 years with no issues before that.

Man. A lot of people are having issues as of late. Hopefully we all can get settled and enjoy our fish!

Jon,
It sucks that you had to spend that kind of cash, but you'll now have a tank with a warranty and no scratches to start with. Enjoy the new investment. We want pics once it is up and running.

Cory

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Jon, I am glad that I could help you source a tank. I'm happy that it is coming from a lfs and one so close to your house.

mchambers

Former CCA member
I dunno. I won a new tank at the ACA convention in Silver Spring in 2011. It leaked last year, all over my basement, for no apparent reason and without warning. I've got used tanks that I've had almost as long (and certainly are older) that haven't leaked.

I think it's just a matter of luck. Newer tanks are probably less likely to leak, but they can leak too.

FishEggs

I'm not going to say anything since i don't want Murphy to find me.

Do ya have the help needed for moving it?

Two big tank leak within 12 months is weird. Are they both used tank placed at the same location. An unlevel ground or stand can develop leak over time.

Becca

Members
I won't be in the area Saturday, but let me know if you need any help on Sunday.

The GWAPA meet is in the area on Saturday (not far from me or Andrew). I bet there are folks who will be around for that meeting who'd be willing to lend a hand.

Depending on timing, we may be able to come out, but with the kids, we might be more trouble than help :p.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Different tanks, different locations in the house. One was set up for 4 years before leaking. The other, 7 years.

Different tanks, different locations in the house. One was set up for 4 years before leaking. The other, 7 years.
If tanks can leak spontaneously, it really bothers me as I have a 125 and 75 in my living area. But I purchased them new and hopefully make a difference.

JLW

CCA Members
As someone who sells tanks for a living, I get asked the "how likely is it to leak" question A LOT. I have seen tanks up and running for 30-40 years with no problems. I would say that the risk of a tank springing a leak, if it has been properly handled is far less than that of your house suddenly springing a pipe leak. The odds go up if you're putting it on a home-made stand or rack. They go up if you've moved it and it wasn't 100% empty. They go up if the tank is large and you moved it improperly (and for some larger tanks, there is no 'good' way to do it. Put 4 guys on a 180, they're different heights, different strengths, struggling and twisting -- that's not the right way).