• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

sick isletas!

spazmattik

Members
So my isletas went from healthy to sick in the past couple days. Noticed white areas between the dorsal fin and the body on the female and the male has some as well and areas on his fins. These areas are being picked at by the fry which all seem to be fine. The grammode is also fine on the other side of the divider. I thought it could be fungal so I started dosing pimafix yesterday. Today they seemed worse and were actually laying on the bottom of the tank. I'm doing a massive water change right now. I couldnt get a good picture but you can see it best in this one I took. Does anyone know what could be wrong?

sickisletas.jpg

dogofwar

CCA Members
Are the fry picking on the parents too much? Sometimes the fry will literally eat their parents alive...

Matt

blkmjk

Members
Hummm? Well clean water is a given but I would crank the temp and add salt. Just as a precaution. Give it a day water change and add more salt. GL keep us posted on progress and treatment path.

NO GOOD DEED SHALL GO UNPUNISHED!

spazmattik

Members
I really havent noticed it much since they first became free swimmers. Is this a normal area to pick at? I dont see any other areas. They look much better today as far as being active. They look like they are back to defending the fry more too as where yesterday they wernt doing much of anything. I did about a 90% wc, dosed pima again, melafix, added some salt and a wavemaker to bring airation up.

spazmattik

Members
Heres a better picture now that the fins arnt so clamped. This is the fourth and only batch i have been able to raise with the parents so maybe it was over picking and stressing them out?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1406463366830.jpg

tparker

Members
Pull fry and treat parents. Fry can do considerable damage to parents bodies.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

spazmattik

Members
Thanks for the advise guys. I pulled the fry and the parents have recovered very nice.....a little too nice... the female is swollen and tube is dropped... 5th spawn coming soon! lol. these guys are as bad as rabbits.