• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Showing fish

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Yes
thats what I ment to say. Don't pick a 10 for a little fish. Pick a smaller tank to make your fish look larger.
You could really do a fish show with nothing but 1gal, 2.5gal and 10s
Takes less space and looks better.
Ok, that makes sense. I just couldn't tell when you said pick small that you were referring to the tank.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
you shouldnt have said that now everyone will be too scared to enter. ;)
I can just hear the fish whispering now, "Did you hear about Leeroy's fish. I heard he eats peacocks as snacks... Well I heard he cracks tanks for the fun of it..." I'm not scurred.

SubMariner

Master Jedi & Past VP
Sadly, I checked with my scheduling consultant (wife) and she informed me that we're going to be up in Maine that weekend for my college buddy's wedding.

I was looking forward to it and am now totally bummed.

Tony, if I were you I would FIRE your consultant! ;):lol:

Lively

Members
lol Richard, we haven't even been married for two weeks yet. :)

Egads! Off to a bad start, already... she's coming between you and your fishey glory!

I'm heading over to the registration page now... really debating on showing my adult male Jack... no doubt he's glorious - but he's a pain to catch and I simply don't have a tank to train him in - but he already pretty social... guess I'd better decide quickly...

Spine

Members
Kev, if you play your cards right, at the end of the show you can drop your losing fish in with my winner for a victory snack.
Leeroy, unless your fish is bigger than 8 inches I don't think my fish will get punked,we're not scurred!:cool:

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Judges look for
color for the type of fish.
Does the fish look like it should.
Ok, so this makes me wonder about line-bred fish. Do judges give a higher score to a fish that shows its naturally occurring colors in the lake? For example, people have been line-breeding the ngara flametails to produce a "red" strain that is not naturally occurring in the lake. Would it be judged higher or lower than an "Ndoka yellow" variant that is a naturally occurring strain? Assuming all other features are identical.

Lively

Members
That does it. I'm taking my fish to the vet to get piranha teeth implants.

Well, keep it out of VA! Piranha are not legal here... to my dismay - I'd rather like to keep them. Ya'll are toast - I entered my "boy" lol
JJ7.jpg

the "little" guy hanging out with him is his son - DQ has him now :)

SubMariner

Master Jedi & Past VP
lol Richard, we haven't even been married for two weeks yet. :)

Dude, did you save your Receipt?

You know you could take her back and exchange your girl for another.

Just remember to take her to the Salon, make sure you get her hair and nails done and if she has any questions about your generosity, just smile and say it's because I love u.;:wub:

LOL!!! LMAO!!! HAAHAHAHAAHAHAA!

RM

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Ok, so this makes me wonder about line-bred fish. Do judges give a higher score to a fish that shows its naturally occurring colors in the lake? For example, people have been line-breeding the ngara flametails to produce a "red" strain that is not naturally occurring in the lake. Would it be judged higher or lower than an "Ndoka yellow" variant that is a naturally occurring strain? Assuming all other features are identical.

That is all up to the judge.
As usual there are people that like them and people that dont

I have won best of show 3 times with line bred fish.
I have been beaten more times than that with natural looking species.
We do it for the fun of it. Keep it simole. Don't over think it. We don't show for thousands of dollars. we show for the fun of it and to show off.
The only thing that should be hard about this is keeping the fish on the leash while you are walking him around the ring for the judge.

AND I don't want to get into line bred and hybrid discussions on here. It has almost killed two clubs so far.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Ok, I guess everything has to be subjective. I do want to do it for fun, but I'm a competitive person also, so I want to win. I just wanted to make sure showing "natural" looking fish isn't a waste of time. I think it'll be a good learning experience for me no matter what happens.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Back in the day most shows required you to supply your own flat sided container for the show. I used mostly 2.5g painted black on 3 sides

This approach allows people to register and bring fish the day of the show vs trying to predict the future

Yes
thats what I ment to say. Don't pick a 10 for a little fish. Pick a smaller tank to make your fish look larger.
You could really do a fish show with nothing but 1gal, 2.5gal and 10s
Takes less space and looks better.

dogofwar

CCA Members
There are no standards so it's completely subjective.

I've had just as many fish place 1st that I didn't think had a chance as fish that I thought were ringers and didn't place at all

Fish grow bigger in tanks than nature. Some judges reward big fish others deduct. Flashy species show better than drab ones

The wild type vs line bred debate is equally subjective. If wild type is the standard then super red is bad. With no standards it's all opinion

I show fish because it's fun and it's a great way to expose people to new fish

Matt

Ok, I guess everything has to be subjective. I do want to do it for fun, but I'm a competitive person also, so I want to win. I just wanted to make sure showing "natural" looking fish isn't a waste of time. I think it'll be a good learning experience for me no matter what happens.