• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Picking a new Phone...

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
So I recently started with a new construction company and am ditching my Blackberry (not going to miss it - AT ALL).

They are on Verizon and the HR guy told me to basically stop by a store, pick one out and get back to him.

Most folks here have a Droid of some flavor, with some iPhones here and there. I asked about the iPhone and he said it was do-able, but would prefer I get a Droid (mainly because of cost).

I've done a bit of web surfing and found a few different phones:

• Motorola Droid X2
  • HTC Incredible 2
  • Samsung Droid Charge
They also have a Motorola Droid 3, which has a flip out real-button keyboard.

From some quick searches of comparisons, between the three with the bullets, they seem pretty equal. The X2 has dual cores so it would run faster (and drain battery faster probably), but does not have a rear-facing camera.

A head-to-head comparison between the Incredible and Charge said that the Charge had a bigger (and better) screen and ran graphics a bit faster.

So I am now thoroughly confused.... they all seem like good phones.

Anyone have any personal experience with these? Anyone have one and wish they had a different one? Are these just about as good as the iPhone 4? Verizon is running a sale now and all the Droids are roughly the same cost. http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/promo/splash/ewp?v=22

:confused:

Thanks in advance.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Oh yeah and how much faster is 4G vs. 3G? I believe that the Charge is 4G and the others are 3...

Leffler817

CCA Members
I thoroughly enjoy my iPhone and I know you are looking for personal experiences with suggested phones but have you tried consumer reports? IMO go with the 4G it's not like the network is going to slow down as time goes on so you may as well go faster now. :D

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
If you are used to having a keyboard, I would try to pick something that has a keyboard. I have using the touchscreen keyboards, and autocorrect can lead to weird messages.

I know a few people who like their Motorolas, and a few Samsung. I have an LG I'm about to get rid of, haven't been too happy with it.

If you're not already apple engrossed, I don't think the iPhone is all its cracked up to be. Most apps are available on both platforms, but most of the Droid software is not proprietary.

I'd go with 4G, I think its worthwhile to buy the best technology available when possible, because all the new infrastructure will be based off of the new system. Then again, 5G should be here in about 4 months so we all are made to think we need even newer phones...

rich_one

Members
I used to be a Droid guy all the way. I used to dislike nearly all things Apple. Still got my Droid, actually. But only temporarily, until my contract ends. See, at work, we got an iPhone 4S to test. We have had it for a couple of months now.

I'm not a Droid guy anymore. And I no longer dislike all things Apple.

-Rich

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Each one has good points and bad points.
Love my Iphone 4s
Much better than the BB I had.

WendyFish

Members
It doesn't sound like Droid vs iPhone is so much the issue but I'll add my 2cents. I have an iPhone for work and a Droid for personal use (church and state...). I can't really compare speed of the phones because they are on different networks that are radically different. For me, the tipping factor has actually been Android's GPS functionality, which because of Google Maps has full navigation with turn-by-turn voice instructions all for free; I think Apple makes you pay for that. I find the GPS functionality so handy that it throws me over the edge given there's not too much distinction on apps, etc.

I feel like you can't really go wrong though. To Pat's point, going from BB to any smart phone is rockin. It's all little choices around the edges.

hotwingz

Members
Ill give you an unbiass...i sell phones for a living. going from a blackberry an iphone is going to be your closest bet for what im sure your using it for. However the incredible 2 or the charge (all of your choices aside from the droid 3 and the iphone are 4g) from verizon will be 4G LTE. Now if your using a mac then deffinately go with iPhone but if your using pc then generally an android works better. An android will give you more options as far as customization and things like expandible memory and batteries. If your not going to use it for any specific use as far as what apples are used for you might be best saving some money and getting a bigger screen :)
Sent from my PG86100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

londonloco

Members
I fought it for years, then my boss insisted on buying me a macbook pro. I haven't looked back once, Apple for everything here, computer, ipad, phone (just the 4, I'm holding out for the 5). I do agree the ONLY thing a Droid has that outshines the Iphone IMO is it's navigator program. Apple needs to beef that **** up, and soon. :)

My kids have droids, Samsung Stratosphere, Samsung Galaxy and Incred 1. The Incred sucks, horrible phone, so I'd advice against the Incred 2. Both Samsungs are great, but when the 1 yo gets to it, well, there is a 50/50 chance it will need to be replaced. (btw, that 1 year old has thrown, banged, and dribbled on my iphone, never phased it). My SIL loves his Stratosphere tho.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I know you said iPhone is not really an option, but I love mine. Way better than the blackberry.

That said, no matter what you get will be a huge improvement.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

I've had my iphone for about a week now. I LOOOOOVVVEEE it. Super easy to use (I'm technically challenged), great camera, great aps, a bit smaller than most droids (easier to put in the pocket of my riding pants). I now know why people are nutty about them.

Hate the BB with a huge passion.

Tony -- btw -- sent you a PM

Hawkman2000

Members
I have done alot of research on the newest phones for my GF. I found that the Droid Razr beats them all in every benchmark, accept one. The only phone that has a better feature is the Ipod4s with its photo editing AP. Their is also a model of the Razr that is thicker. Its a double or triple capacity battery. The Razr is also the most durable smart phone on the market. A screen made of gorilla glass and a Kevlar infused backplate. It also can take the newest droid software version (Icecream Sandwich). From what I understand, it is the first phone it have the 3g and 4g modems on one chip. All others (accept one or two) have a 4g chip stacked on a 3g chip. this causes the phone to chew up twice as much power when used in 4g mode, the 3g/4g stack that is. Their are a few AP compatibility issues with Icecream Sandwich, but they should have that fix within the next few months. Droids are also know for having the most accurate GPS system, especially on Sprint and Verizon. My friends Droid guides him around they traffic between herndon and fredricksburg every day and he says that it is a lifesaver.

I know I sound like a salesman, its just I love the dam thing. What really pissed me of is that 3 weeks after my GF got her phone, they started a special offer for 2 for 199 or something like that.

BTW, for any Trekkie's out their, a complete LCARS GUI with flash screens, icons and everything else will be available shortly. I watched a couple vids on youtube showing its development and it looks pretty cool, functional as well.

Last edited:

mchambers

Former CCA member
Wake

Have you iPhone people tried the MapQuest app? Its free turn by turn directions and all that silliness. :confused:

I'd recommend WAZE for the iPhone. Turn by turn directions and free.

I lam completely happy with my IPhone. My wife and son had Droids for a few weeks a while back, until we learned that Verizon really didn't cover our neighborhood(in DC, no less). They found Droids to be very flexible, but much more difficult technically. My wife kept asking me to fix her e-mail issues on her Droid.

I'd get an iPhone and pay the difference.

Nathan

Members
Are the phones on sale the only options? The Galaxy Nexus by Samsung, DROID RAZR MAXX by Motorola, and the Apple iPhone 4S are the best phones on Verizon. The nexus is probably the best of the bunch.

The x2 has a different screen. You'll either love or hate it. Its best to go to the store and see what you like.

Hawkman2000

Members
I would definitely go with the Razr Maxx.

Whatever you get, it might take awhile to get used to after using a BB, but I think you will be much happier in the end. The only things people tell me they miss about their BBs, is the email service from BB, and a mini keyboard that you can feel.