• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

New Tanks/New Living Room

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Would two 125s work better? One way would be one in front of the other. The front one would be a display tank and the back could be for grow out or breeding. The disadvantage is it might look funny on the side and you don't have much of a view of the back tanks.

Another similar possibility would be a custom stand with a 75 long(a short 125) on the bottom and a 125 on the top. Or possibly even a bow front for the top tank.

Not sure I'm digging the tanks in front of each other, but really liking the stacked 125 idea. You'll have to swap over to canister/AC110 filtration on each, but it will certainly free up space in the room.

Also, stocking-wise, you can do a lot more with a 6x18" tank than a 4x24" tank.

I have a 6' 150 stacked atop a 125 and it works out well. Because there's no room for a sump, filtration consists of the following:
-150: 2 Rena XP3, AC110, SEIO-style blower
-125: 18"x24" matten filter pieces in each back corner with a power head circulating water through each one (picture corner overflows in a RR tank), AC110, SEIO-style blower

-125 (in the fish room): AC110, 6 big sponge filters (Yup, that's it)

Last edited:

SubMariner

Master Jedi & Past VP
Wendy, I think you should go for the 6' Bow tank. They are just so elegant and they would look really nice in your living room. To me they add a modern contemporary feel and would look great!

As for the noise factor, Charlie is right. You should really take into consideration what you're going to do in that area because I assume the LR is going to be used for entertainment right.

The other thing you need to look at is the kind of access you're going to need in order to clean the tank. If the couch, as seen on your digital drawing is right up against the tank how will you be able maintain that particular one. In other words, you need to create a path to your tanks so you can do your water changes and many miscellaneous tasks that are needed for such a large tank.

Good Luck and don't forget to have fun creating your project!

Cheers,

Richard

WendyFish

Members
The other thing you need to look at is the kind of access you're going to need in order to clean the tank. If the couch, as seen on your digital drawing is right up against the tank how will you be able maintain that particular one. In other words, you need to create a path to your tanks so you can do your water changes and many miscellaneous tasks that are needed for such a large tank.
This has definitely been a point of discussion. Thanks for taking my side! ;)

Good Luck and don't forget to have fun creating your project!
Thanks for the advice! We are definitely having fun with it. As I say, we can't really get more tanks, so we have to scheme to get cooler ones. And it's definitely a good time. :)

ezrk

Members
BowLivingRoom.png

This is what it would likely look like if we went with a six foot bow. Also note the vastly improved google sketch-up of our living room...:)

Tony

Still digging the double-stacked 125s...

.....if you don't - you'll wish you did. :p

ezrk

Members
OK, just for Tony. This would be two stacked six foot 75g tanks (72x18x13). The canopies for each tank are like 9" and there is 2.5" on the side of each tank for framing, the first tank start 24" off the ground.

StackedTanksLivingRoom.jpg

longstocking

Members
You won't reget those tanks.... I have one of them. It's my favorite tank and I have quite a few tanks ;)

I would prefer my entire fish room to be those LOL... but they are pricey!

Tony

OK, just for Tony.

LOL, thanks for humoring me, Ethan. :)

How tall is the whole assembly? Any way to squeeze another 10" (taller or drop the bottom tank lower) to swap one of the 75s over to a 125?

There's definitely value in having the bottom tank up off the floor, but a huge difference between a 75 and a 125.

Or were you thinking of sumping both of them in the 24" space below?

ezrk

Members
Total height is about 5'10" as modeled. I had assumed both would share a common sump in the base, obviously there are a lot of ways to filter them.

Maintence on the top tank is at the point of getting tricky as the lid is about 5' off the ground, doable but you would need a stool probably, though you can feed them easily enough.

So a 125 would probably need to be the bottom tank reducing the the height under the tanks to 20" or less.

If you wanted to be really tricksy, you could do a sump outside the main stand next to it. If you used a Calflo or scupper box style for the overflows (at least on the lower tank) you could make a second "end table" that had a sump in its' base.

Tony

Total height is about 5'10" as modeled. I had assumed both would share a common sump in the base, obviously there are a lot of ways to filter them.

Maintence on the top tank is at the point of getting tricky as the lid is about 5' off the ground, doable but you would need a stool probably, though you can feed them easily enough.

So a 125 would probably need to be the bottom tank reducing the the height under the tanks to 20" or less.

If you wanted to be really tricksy, you could do a sump outside the main stand next to it. If you used a Calflo or scupper box style for the overflows (at least on the lower tank) you could make a second "end table" that had a sump in its' base.

Yeah, you're at the point where there's no right answer... you've got a few clean options and it's all coming down to balancing tank capacity vs. convenience.

Personally, I've made my bed in some cases by choosing the former over the latter. :rolleyes:

You're definitely on the right track.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I really like the double stacked 6' tank idea. If you dropped the bottom tank to 20" above the floor, you could probably squeeze an fx5 in the stand. At 6' wide, you could do 3 FX5's, one for the 75, two for the 125. No more worries about noise on a sump. It would be considerably more expensive than a dual sump, but effective.

Hawkman2000

Members
Have you thought about placing the TV in the corner and then placing a RR-90g bow/corner in the other two corners, or something like that.