• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

New LED fixtures on the market

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
I actually ended up acquiring a 24" Deep Blue SolarFlare 224DX light. I have been looking for a nice light for my 28 bowfront tank, and found this light in a BABES silent auction at ACA.

The light has 2 rows of 12 LEDS, each at 3 watts. There are 18 white LEDs, and 6 blue LEDs. There are 2 power options, 1 for just the blue lights, and one for all of the lights. 72 watts from an LED light on a 28g tank is actually too bright!

I'd actually like to get something less powerful. The light looks great, but is very bright and geared towards marine setups. I'd prefer an LED light geared towards plants, but would be fine with a lower power light.

The light retails for between $230 and $300 depending on where you look. If anyone has a nice 24" LED light, or a combo T5/LED light and would like something brighter, I might be willing to trade. I can post or send pictures for anyone interested.

chriscoli

Administrator
Hmmmm it says that the white LEDs on Mike's Deep Blue fixture are 10,000K....Anyone know if those would work on a planted tank? I read (from one of the manufacturers, of course) that the 8,000K LEDs are better for planted tanks....but that the 10,000 K would be ok.

Any thoughts?

JasonC

Members
there are a million threads on plantedtank re: diy leds... as far as housings are concerned, most people I have seen on there are using some manner of aluminum angle iron, c channel, etc... also seen some large strips of aluminum heatsink. A little more spartan than some of the commercial housings available, but cheep and effective.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Actually 6500 to 6700 K is better for planted tanks. Some of us use a combination of 6700K and 10000K.

Arlene
Will a strong 10K light grow plants slowly, or would a weaker 6k-8k bulb be better? Plants will grow in my tank with a weak T8 bulb, but I'd like to have them grow faster.

Will a strong 10K light grow plants slowly, or would a weaker 6k-8k bulb be better? Plants will grow in my tank with a weak T8 bulb, but I'd like to have them grow faster.

You're better off with adding a light that does 6700K than 10000K. You have to be careful with the 10000K lights because you're more likely to grow algae faster. I have a tank that has 4 lights, and two are 6700K, one is 10000K, and one is called a rose light (?).

Arlene

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
You're better off with adding a light that does 6700K than 10000K. You have to be careful with the 10000K lights because you're more likely to grow algae faster. I have a tank that has 4 lights, and two are 6700K, one is 10000K, and one is called a rose light (?).

Arlene
I'm not comfortable switching out LED bulbs, so I think I'll have to consider other options. The tank looks nice, just brighter than what I need. I do like it though and won't be upset if I end up keeping it. A few pics; (1) light, (2) tank w/ no light, (3) tank w/ T8 light, (4) tank w/ Blue LEDs, (5) tank w/ full LED light

2012-07-22 12.22.57.jpg

2012-07-20 13.52.35.jpg

2012-07-20 15.02.42.jpg

2012-07-22 12.25.24.jpg

2012-07-22 12.25.40.jpg

T

tug

The Sun is shinning in my basement.

I found a link that offers PAR on select brands of LED fixtures. I picked up the Finnex FugeRay 7000k to keep the lighting on the low side. I am impressed with the light/spread it provides and the low cost (36" light for $109) is appealing. The mounting legs do not have set screws (a little diy to keep them from sliding around) it would be nice if they replaced some blue LED's with red and/or white ones, but otherwise it has a very low profile and seems to provide plenty of light for my 29 gallon tank. The link providing PAR values is from TPT, http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=160396

ezrk

Members

Arlene

Our 55g is lit by LEDs that are a combination of 10k, 6500k, Royal Blue and a tiny amount of true actinic (which is almost violet). We think our Java Ferns appreciate the light and are growing better than they have before.

Mike,

Finnex is one of the more popular brands that several members of GWAPA are currently liking right now.

And the thread on TPT is great. Nowadays, most members of GWAPA are going by PAR readings and our club invested in a PAR meter for our paying members to use.

GWAPA is having a speaker from Rapid LED coming in to speak to us in about LED lights at our monthly meeting in June if you are interested in learning more about LEDs.

Arlene

YSS

Members
I would like one for my reef tank. I think there are a few decently priced ones good for softies.

T

tug

Arlene,
I would love to attend a GWAPA meeting one day. June should give me time to get my act together. And, access to a PAR meter would make the membership a no-brainer for me. Living without a car makes it difficult. As it is, I rarely make the CCA meetings and they are Metro accessible. Oh, love the melon hat btw.

I hope everyone can come check out my leds that we have designed. I wouldn't say they are great for reefs but for planted aquariums they work great!