• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Maybe a sick Ram!?

dhavalsp

Members
This guy was sourced from petsmart... Eats well... And seems robust... He/she has had those foamy things on the fins since day one...I don't think it is ich, temp is at 85 F, and did go through 5 treatment of oxytetracycline... What are your thoughts...dealing with Rams for the first time...

image.jpeg

dhavalsp

Members
Btw, just to show how a source can make a difference, this guy is from batfish, half in size than the petsmart one... Just love the colors on this... Again, male or female?! Unfortunately, lost its mate to unknown reason ..

image.jpeg

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
Obviously a male in my opinion.

The white stuff could be Glossatella which often attacks other parts of the body not just the fins. Do an image search on this name and compare.

dhavalsp

Members
yup, the images seem to indicate Glossatella, now known as Apiosoma....it is a protozoa which affects open lesions ... I am pretty much convinced that is what I am dealing with...

how to proceed, what meds have worked well in the past?

what are your thoughts on just scrapping the tufts off and applying iodine on the affected area to begin with?

Thanks for all help in advance!

dhavalsp

Members
Okay...so here is what I have done...

1. freaked out...as I already had him in my main tank...
2. netted him out, scrapped all the cotton tufts, as much as possible..
3. dabbed the affected area with H2o2 (did not have iodine handy)
4. the fish is in hospital tank, with some Epsom salt and antibacterial...temp at 85F...

basically, I ended up doing all....

next step, after all that I put it through, if it survived, I will buy a lottery ticket in its name!

on a serious note, will do daily 50% WC, re-dosing anti bacterial, and refrain from feeding...