• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Looking suggestion on filters to replace my Aquaclears

Prince

The ONE who is The ONE
I have gotten tired of the restart failures on my AC filters. Anybody have a viable replacement suggestion that offers the same utilitarian features of an AC filter? It has to be a HOB.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
While there are many HOBs on the market and they have increased flow by relocating the motor assembly, I do not know of any that have a flow rate on par with the AC110. I also don't believe that any use the "stackable basket" model for media like ACs do. I placed a hydro sponge onto my 110s intake with an elbow from Hydro. This allows the intake to reach lower into the tank. When I do my weekly 50% change, I leave my 110 running. By not draining lower than this line, I don't break the siphon of the intake and so my 110 starts back up without issue.

londonloco

Members
I have to "prime" my AC's every time I do a water change. I've got a system tho, the python hose goes directly into the top of the filter, doesn't take long to add a few inches of water into the filter, and once it has enough water in it, it starts without a problem.

mchambers

Former CCA member
I think there's two restart issues. First, with water changes, it's as Loni described.

Second, after a power failure, Aquaclear filters sometimes will not restart, unless you poke the impeller with something, like a chopstick. I find this usually happens when the impeller, shaft, and surrounding area needs to be cleaned.

I also agree that I don't know of any other HOB filter has the features of an Aquaclear, unfortunately. I'd be tempted to try the Fluval C-Series:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3579+3608+23671&pcatid=23671

londonloco

Members
.....after a power failure, Aquaclear filters sometimes will not restart, unless you poke the impeller with something, like a chopstick. I find this usually happens when the impeller, shaft, and surrounding area needs to be cleaned.

I never have a problem with them restarting after a power outage. Guess I've just been lucky.

Prince

The ONE who is The ONE
My beef has been when the power flickers. Thanks to La Plata being remodeled by Ma Nature in the early 2000's we have underground power lines. I may try the c series.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Hawkman2000

Members
C-Series have the same problem unfortunately. My AC-20 does not though. I just use a turkey baster to prime my C-4 after a water change. Power failure doesn't seem to be an issue though.

Hawkman2000

Members
I have been very happy with my C-4. It is much more flexible than the ACs, easier to clean as well. Only problem I have noticed (other than the water change restart) is that it is a bit louder than the ACs.

I might even test the power outage issue tomorrow. I'll unplug and plug it back in a bunch of times and see how many times it needs to be primed.

Rasta Fish

Members
is it gravel getting stuck in your impeller causing you to reset it?
have you take it apart and clean?
sometimes you just need to replace the shaft and that should fixed it, if its a worn shaft
I am having the same problem with mine but the problem with mine is the sand in my tank..going to change out the fine sand to something a little larger

verbal

CCA Members
Would it be possible to have a water pump push the water through the uplift tube?

It might not be the best looking thing in the world, but it would not need to be primed, but it would have he media flexibility of a standard AquaClear.

Hawkman2000

Members
I unplugged my C-4 5 times for different lengths of time (up to 10 minutes) with no restart issue. I also tested my AC 20 with no problems.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Hey Prince,

If/when you decide to get rid of your Aquaclears, give me a holler. I could use a couple more. :)

toddnbecka

Members
If the impeller well is clean and the impeller or shaft isn't worn down they should restart w/out any problems IME. I do have an air-driven sponge filter in every tank in case one doesn't restart, but that hasn't been an issue since I replaced the worn impeller shafts on a few of mine. The other great thing about the sponge filters, when the power was out (5 days, just came back on last night) I used battery powered air pumps to run the sponge filters and keep the biofiltration going.

Hawkman2000

Members
Aside from the starting features what about the sound or noise from the C-series? I find the Emperors to be a bit noisy.

The C-Series is louder than the ACs, but I find the trickle sound to be more tolerable than the penguin I had on their(and sometimes even relaxing)I had on their. The sound can be lowered by turning down the flow, and/or keeping the water level in the tank as high as possible. I am very glad I got it.