• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Lip Funk?

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Any ideas what this is? This one wild hap had it when I got him. He had a small spot above his lip when I got him back in the fall and it has since grown a bit. There is also a small spot on his lower jaw (visible in the third pic). I need to move some fish out of the tank, but am hesitant in case this is something nasty/contagious.

EDIT (more info): It's tough to tell from the pictures, but it almost looks like a boil or something. It matches his body color (light blue) and is not white or "furry." I literally looks like your skin would after a burn... sort of bubbled up.

He's had it for a while, no scratching and eats like a pig, so it doesn't seem to affect him.????

Thanks in advance.

232323232%7Ffp63389%3Enu%3D34%3C7%3E846%3E257%3EWSNRCG%3D335%3B%3C565%3A8348nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp63248%3Enu%3D34%3C7%3E846%3E257%3EWSNRCG%3D335%3B%3C565%3A7348nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp633%3A2%3Enu%3D34%3C7%3E846%3E257%3EWSNRCG%3D335%3B%3C565%3A9348nu0mrj

Last edited:

iamzrad

Members
I would say something, but it's not appropriate lol.

Strange though. Could be just an abnormality?

Tony

I would say something, but it's not appropriate lol.

Strange though. Could be just an abnormality?

Valtrex? lol.

That's what I was thinking at first; just an abnormality so I didn't ask until now. But it's grown a bit since I've had him, which concerns me. :confused:

Rasta Fish

Members
lol
Was thinking the same
Maybe try some fungus cure in the tank just to make sure you dont have anything spreading and a water change maybe some more salt

Andrew

Members
The joke is closer to reality than you might think... There are viral infections that cause tumors in fish, especially around the mouth, vent and fins. Unfortunately they usually aren't treatable. Fortunately it doesn't usually endanger of the fish.

You might also try giving him a little talk on selection of partners, just to make sure he doesn't bring home any other little problems.

Tony

The joke is closer to reality than you might think... There are viral infections that cause tumors in fish, especially around the mouth, vent and fins. Unfortunately they usually aren't treatable. Fortunately it doesn't usually endanger of the fish.

Cool. Thanks for the advise, man. :)

You might also try giving him a little talk on selection of partners, just to make sure he doesn't bring home any other little problems.

Um... awkward.... :p

dogofwar

CCA Members
Usually lympho and some other viral conditions are stress activated. See if giving him his own tank for a bit helps clear it up...

Matt