• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Hey Gardeners!

JasonC

Members
Dan,

We direct sowed at about the same time and you have amazing growth compared to mine... how do you amend your soil?

Only things that totally dudded for me this year were carrots, corn and snow peas. think I have snow peas coming up now, but carrots refused on the 2nd sow... going to still try a third.. Corn, I am going to give another go... feel confidant doing it this late as the farm across the street from my house just put down seed this weekend so should be okay.

I'll take note to what you are saying about the dish water not contacting leaves... is a good idea... better to be safe than sorry. I really liked Jeff's idea of a watering system for his fish water... maybe I'll grab a soaker hose and run it around the perimeter of my raised beds... *ponder*

Overall, I'm glad we are doing our CSA again this year... happy to let the pros do most of the hard work and I'll supplement and learn til I have more property to do it right.

daninmd

Members
Dan,

We direct sowed at about the same time and you have amazing growth compared to mine... how do you amend your soil?

Only things that totally dudded for me this year were carrots, corn and snow peas. think I have snow peas coming up now, but carrots refused on the 2nd sow... going to still try a third.. Corn, I am going to give another go... feel confidant doing it this late as the farm across the street from my house just put down seed this weekend so should be okay.

I'll take note to what you are saying about the dish water not contacting leaves... is a good idea... better to be safe than sorry. I really liked Jeff's idea of a watering system for his fish water... maybe I'll grab a soaker hose and run it around the perimeter of my raised beds... *ponder*

Overall, I'm glad we are doing our CSA again this year... happy to let the pros do most of the hard work and I'll supplement and learn til I have more property to do it right.

I rented a tiller from home depot and amendment the soil with both potting soil and additional generic 5-5-5 fertilizer. I tilled and removed as much roots/grass as possible, then put down on average around 2" of topsoil and lightly tilled it in to mix. other than that I haven't done much other than not over watering (like I used to do). they get full sun in the location. my growth was average until about two weeks ago and everything just started to explode.

I didn't do it, but did you have your soil tested? if your pH is way off or your soil is missing anything that will really slow down growth.

Jeff721

Members
Updated photos:

LZubT7V.jpg

L95CAPF.jpg

BpXYsWY.jpg

8TYCfAS.jpg

6pN4ID1.jpg

Jeff721

Members
Thanks, its really coming along. I feel like I got such a late start this year, but it was so cold for so long.

jVSZtp6.jpg

A shot from this morning of one of the cucumber plants.

gsbdhST.jpg

harlowe777

Members
I had a garden in my room..hydro 64 plants in a 3x3 space..the growth was 10x better than any out door ever done..its great!!..

daninmd

Members
Thanks, its really coming along. I feel like I got such a late start this year, but it was so cold for so long.

jVSZtp6.jpg

A shot from this morning of one of the cucumber plants.

gsbdhST.jpg

whats your plan for the cucumbers? not any room in that planter for them I wouldn't think?

daninmd

Members
Came back from vacation to find a garden that is going bananas.

a couple of my tomato plants have hit 6 feet in height! corn is about 5-6 feet now and corn ears are starting to grow. cabbage heads are bigger than a softball now and the sunflowers are around 7 feet tall!

had some cucumbers and zucchini ready for harvest too..yummy!

garden.jpg

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Came back from vacation to find a garden that is going bananas.

a couple of my tomato plants have hit 6 feet in height! corn is about 5-6 feet now and corn ears are starting to grow. cabbage heads are bigger than a softball now and the sunflowers are around 7 feet tall!

had some cucumbers and zucchini ready for harvest too..yummy!

Nice!
I would say keep up the good work but the plants are doing all the work ...LOL
You must have awesome soil no ears on my corn :( also looks like rabbits and deer went to town on some of the greens.
My herbs on the other hand are doing well
Good job hope to see more pics soon.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

daninmd

Members
updated pic of the garden. its going bananas at this point. getting 2-3 cucumbers per day, around 1-2 zucchini a day. corn is starting to grow real well, guessing some will be ready for eating in the next couple of weeks.

we are about to have so many tomatoes its not even funny. at this point I estimate approx. 300 tomatoes on the plants. cherry tomatoes are already ripening and the rest are already orange-ish in color.

image.jpg

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Dan your garden is awesome.
I got really fed up last weekend and decided to pull everything up till the soil and plant grass...gotta start from scratch now.

Acpape0

Members
Here is my garden. I am a firm believer in maximizing space ( if you have seen my tanks you will know this) I give my last harvest to the ground every year to help the soil. I also burn corn for heat in the winter and save all of the ashes and till them in also. ( everyone should looking into heating with corn, supports local farmers, better btu than pellets, and very low emissions, but it does require a special stove) I got a late start this year due to chance of frost.
I hope you enjoy the video. If anyone wants those "tomato weeds"let me know http://youtu.be/wwjUzbxzpII

daninmd

Members
Here is my garden. I am a firm believer in maximizing space ( if you have seen my tanks you will know this) I give my last harvest to the ground every year to help the soil. I also burn corn for heat in the winter and save all of the ashes and till them in also. ( everyone should looking into heating with corn, supports local farmers, better btu than pellets, and very low emissions, but it does require a special stove) I got a late start this year due to chance of frost.
I hope you enjoy the video. If anyone wants those "tomato weeds"let me know http://youtu.be/wwjUzbxzpII

nice Adam, I like it. I never had any luck with cucumbers growing along the ground which is why I grew them on a fence this year and doing much better. did you plant corn? didn't see any in the video?

what was the veggy that was between the house/wall that had the mesh on top?

Acpape0

Members
They were strawberrys with the mesh... I need to tie off some of the cucumber to the trellis just have been real busy recently I didn't plant any corn .... I buy dried shelled corn to burn in the winter from a local coop a ton at a time