• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Hey Gardeners!

Beeman

Members
Have done alot of my spring pruning in the past couple of weeks. Sowed grass seed in bare spots right before the last snow. Lettuce, russian kale, arugula, basil seeds from Pinetree Seeds due to arrive Monday. Starting new raised bed today. Repotted 7 bonsai trees yest., 9 more to go!
LET IT BE SPRING !!!!!!!!

JasonC

Members
Pepper plants sprouted indoors... 4 varieties this year. other seeds waiting to go in ground... think I am going to try to get the spring leafy stuff (spinach, lettuce, kale, pak choi, chard) in after this next bout of cold weather subsides. Flower beds in the front/side of the house are still an unmitigated disaster as usual. Daisies, hyacinth, grape hyacinth, tulips are starting to push up. Really excited for this years veggie gardening. We are doing about 11'x3' of raised beds along with our CSA again this year. Really wanted to do a small aquaponics grow bed this year, but my wife put the kaibash on that demading that she wanted a fence first... guess I need to get the architectural change request form into the association ;P

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Have done alot of my spring pruning in the past couple of weeks. LET IT BE SPRING !!!!!!!!
How do you over winter your bees? Just curious if you loose any, what do they eat?

@Chris, there are a large number of torches but def looks similar
Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Last edited:

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Lol we have tried everything. What eventually worked was cutting it all down tilling it, tarp it, repeat a lot of work but you pretty much steaming the runners and rhizomes etc...

Beeman

Members
How do you over winter your bees? Just curious if you loose any, what do they eat?

They prepare themselves for winter. Store all honey above and beside their winter cluster. All I do is reduce the entrance to keep mice out and cut down on drafts. Losses, you BETCHA!!! Most beekeepers average 25-45% loss each winter. The horror stories you hear in the news are definitely true. The main culprit being varroa mites, and to a lesser degree small-hive beetles. Not to mention pesticide buildup on the combs, and loss of nutrition due to expansive mono-culture. Nothing easy about keeping bees!!!

chriscoli

Administrator
Not that it even compares, but I put out my solitary bee houses last weekend. Seemed early, but I noticed them buzzing around my neighbor's blooming Mahonia.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Do you notice any difference in fruiting blooming time...of your garden with owning bees? My neighbor down the street had the boxes wide open the other day when it was warm...maybe I should go introduce myself and ask them tons of questions lol

Beeman

Members
Do that! And out of curiosity, ask if he's working with Italian bees, or one of the other races of bees currently being used. Alot of research recently suggests that Russian bees, having evolved alongside varroa mites, show a far greater ability to stay ahead of the mite cycle, and control the destructive nature of varroa. I run all of my hives with Russian hybrids. Can't say that my success(or lack thereof) can be attributed to that choice, but I can say that I use NO chemical controls within my hives to combat mites. Yet my losses are in line with those that do use harsh chemicals. So where is the advantage for those that do. At least I know that the honey I provide to my family and customers, is as pure as one can get in this day and age!

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Any ideas on what to grow for western facing part of the yard? Looking for mostly edible types already got cherry tomatoes, squash, basil but not sure/ can't decide.

Here is a pic of the bamboo gone (atleast from our yard) but tons of bamboo blades still on the ground making awesome mulch/compost/ fertilizer after taking the tarp off it smelled like a swamp. Now to till again.

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1395727213.275694.jpg

Localzoo

Board of Directors
So they have Italian bees, the lady seemed like they were starting I over again only one of the 4 boxes seemed to have any activity the others were open with an odd jar I think of sugar water...I left her alone and didn't ask anything else...she seemed annoyed.
Like how dare I look over her 3 foot fence and ask her anything while she was gardening.

Jeff721

Members
Just made and installed this bad-boy to use the water-change runoff from my 75 gallon. I will be planting it with veggies and such.

IFweXMC.jpg

Pretty much 99.5% recycled, made from this:

QwUMpe7.jpg

qJ045Mx.jpg

isIeXhy.jpg

Jeff721

Members
Just filled it with top soil, compost/manure, and peat last night when it was dark, so no photos yet of it filled. Rough measurements are 5'x2'x1'.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Sweet glad someone else is using recycled materials just added a sand box and added wood hips around it made from recycled wood
And made raised beds in a similar fashion still haven't filled it in

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1397502279.953169.jpg

Jeff721

Members
DSC_0022_zps108023a3.jpg

Filled with dirt.

I also planted a bunch of seeds in a seed starter last night. Lettuce, Broccoli, Cucumbers, and Watermelons. We'll see what sprouts.