• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Fixing Fluorescent Fixtures?

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Anyone have any experience fixing fluorescent fixtures?

I have 2 48" double T8 fixtures (I think that they're T8 - definitely not T5 and probably too new to be T12) where only one of the two slots/sockets(?) for bulbs works. You can get the other one to turn on by taking the functioning one out or turning the bulb in the non-functioning socket to a funky angle, but it won't stay on for long.

Smaller fixtures generally have starter sockets visible between to two bulbs, but I don't see any starter sockets (at least on the exterior of the fixture). Are they inside? Excuse my laziness for not pulling them apart to look myself.

Both fixtures are probably 10-15 years old max.

Thanks in advance.

Nathan

Members
they are very simple to fix.
If you cant see a starter then it doesn't use one. Its either the ballast the the endcaps. Open it up, theres not much to them.

Hawkman2000

Members
Fine sand paper on a mini screwdriver should clean the contacts in the endcaps. If you need a new ballast, google search "sunpark ballast". I found an electrical supply site that sells them for a decent price. You could just get one from homedepot, but I don't think they are electronic-program start ballast, and if they are, they prob not cheap.

Nathan

Members
I use the fulham work horse ballasts, they will work with just about every kind of florescent light.

Some of those electronic ballast cost more than a new light fixture. I had a hard time finding T5 ballast anywhere. I dont understand why the store sells the T5 light fixture but not the ballast.