• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Everyone ok?

Cartel

Members
Here's my fun weekend....

A friend and I were going driving out to Charleston WV to pick up his niece from college. We left at 9:30 because we saw the storm on the radar instead of waiting until midnight to leave like we had planned. As we are driving on 70 towards Frederick we can see the storm coming. The best lightning show I have ever seen. Once we met the storm it was crazy. The 18 wheeler in front of us (tandem fedex truck) jack knifed and made into the ditch. We made it past with out incedent and kept trucking towards Charleston assuming it was "just" a storm. Charleston had power when we picked her up so we didnt make anything of it and headed home. Once we needed gas we saw several stations closed and assumed it was due to small towns not being open 24/7. Ignornance is bliss.... Finally we make it to one town with only 4 miles left on the tank only to find out there were no gas stations with power for 100 miles south and 50 miles north. My bubble has never been burst like that conversation did. We called road side and they essentially said tough noogies. We drove to the nearest hotel to call it home for the next few days when we found a guy from out of state in the parking lot filling up his motorhome from gas containers. He said if we could syphon the gas out of his ATV's he was towing we could buy it. Needless to say we had a deal! Bought 5 gallons and were able to make it to the cloesest town with power. Eventually made it home sat afternoon to find the house dead. It was a long weekend. I found enough ice to keep the beer and steaks cold. I slept, grilled, and drank the whole weekend. I had the neighbors over and it ended up being a "good" time. Power came back on at 11 last night and the whole neighborhood came out and cheered.

For once I was glad to not have any fish. Side note why do i lose power but work never does?!?!

Most frustrating is the 30k gal inground pool out back, but can't use the water for changes in tanks. Well, possibly could, but am afraid of chemistry in pool vs what comes out of well and into tanks every Sunday morning. Just want cooler air!!!!!

Aperper

Members
power just came back on for my part of Silver Spring (4 Corners). no loss of fish, but one of them said "That which doesn't kill a fish makes it stronger"

ezrk

Members
Power back on in Reston, no fish losses. For the record D-Cell powered air pumps last about two days before they start to get pretty weak.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Power still out in NW DC, near Silver Spring. Pepco is clueless and estimating power back on late Friday night.

Fish are still alive, however, despite Pepco. I'm doing large daily water changes, moving my air pumps around, and keeping the water levels low.

If my fish survive, maybe they will think they've just survived the dry season and start breeding when the tanks are full of clean, moving, oxygenated water.

JasonC

Members
3.5 days and still out... I am usually very understanding and patient when it comes to these kinds of things... but my brow is starting to furrow a little.

As of yesterday afternoon fish seemed to be doing fine... wonder if there is anything to survivability vs. how densely planted a tank is?

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
3.5 days and still out... I am usually very understanding and patient when it comes to these kinds of things... but my brow is starting to furrow a little.

As of yesterday afternoon fish seemed to be doing fine... wonder if there is anything to survivability vs. how densely planted a tank is?

If the tank is heavily planted and has a lot of fish, there is potential for suffocation in the evening when the plants respire CO2. During the day however, if they are somehow getting enough light, plants will consume CO2 from the fish and will utilize small levels of ammonia.

Matt, Tony, Jason-sorry to hear. Ours came back around 11 am today. That was an hou after BGE pushed back our estimated restoration time to 6:30 pm tomorrow! I don't think there is a logical plan, just a lot of guesses. Keeping fingers crossed no residual effects on fish, as I had no deaths. Big mbuna almost rioted yesterday, but I added a couple of large plastic plants to provide more hiding places. I guess hunger and heat do that. Hmmm...my husband and I probably looked and sounded like the mbuna at times!

JasonC

Members
For those without power still, HOT had a few battery operated air pumps in stock... just received them in overnight apparently.

And it appears that my fish are gluttons for punishment... one of the ladies decided to put up a small spawn sometime between yesterday afternoon and this afternoon. Or maybe they are just bored of sitting in the dark and needed something to do?

MarkK

CCA Members
Hi all.

My power is still out. Tomorrow will be five days.

At first I thought it would be quick so I didn't do anything I just waited.

Monday I went online and ordered three battery-powered pumps from Kens fish in Massachusetts.

He called me and said he could only send me two. I had them shipped overnight UPS about $60 for the shipping +40 something per pump can't remember exactly.

They arrived today and I left work early to come home and hook it all up. Of course I found I did not have enough hose so I had to go back to Rockville for more airline tubing. Aquarium one on Rockville Pike has a bunch of the Azoo pumps. Those pumps say two AA batteries on the box but seem to need two D cells.

So now all six tanks have one sponge filter running on each.

Do people think I should do partial water changes? One concern is that pouring water in from the top will stir up lots of organic waste.

I did a partial water change on my fry tank which has no bottom substrate.

If anyone still needs battery operated air pumps aquarium one had at least 10 around 4pm today.

I have not been feeding the tanks. Do people think I should feed?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Don't feed. The fish will be fine. You may want to siphon off the babies and feed them.
Water changes will only help. See the previous thread with the link to Franks article.

Sent from my DROIDX

We lost power Friday night while we were still on vacation in San Diego and didn't come back on until late Sunday evening, just a few hours before our plane touched down at Dulles. If it wasn't for some good friends of ours, I would have lost my fish. Thankfully they were able to set up our generator, and I lost only a small amount of fish. I have to deal with algae issues though.

Our current basement remodel is put on hold because a very large tulip poplar tree fell in our backyard and damaged our large shed and crushed a metal trellis and my greenhouse. We are still trying to clean up the mess. At least the tree didn't hit the house, which just got a new roof, siding, trim and gutters a few days before we left for vacation!

Arlene

Last edited:

chriscoli

Administrator
Ooooh, sorry, Arlene! Tulip poplars get to be really big and as we were told by an arborist, they are "self pruning"....i.e. they tend to shed their branches very eaily. Brittle wood.

We've got several in the wooded are behind my house and I'm always worried that they're going to fall.

Sorry that it did damage, but I'm glad it wasn't the house!

dogofwar

CCA Members
Just got power back about an hour ago...

Looks like I only lost a few fish (a couple of big ones in a heavily stocked 150g and onesies here an there).

Both of my Hurricane 5's kicked in and provided air for about 8-10 hrs (overnight) to a few tanks. I didn't have enough D batteries to keep them going (brought them all to Uruguay and didn't replenish after the trip).

I had a battery air pump with fresh Ds on my 180 and it worked great until the last day. Doesn't look like anyone died in there :)

The rest of the tanks were just cool and quiet the whole time. Very few losses.

As tempted as I was, I only entered the fishroom a couple of times during the time without power. The fish were sleeping...the temp was cool (fishroom is in the basement)...so very little oxygen getting used.

I brought a trashbag this morning in preparation for the worst but was pleasantly suprised that it wasn't worse. Big water changes all around today :)

Sorry to hear about everyone who had bigger issues!

Matt