• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Cyp Fry

This breeding thing is pretty easy. Decided to pull my holding cyprichromis leptosoma utinta this morning out of the 120g tank. Removed about 75 pounds of rock and half an hour later had her in the 2 1/2.

Reorganized the 120 and did a water change.

Tried to take some photos of "eyes" in the holding female. Not very good success and deleted them all. Went back in the fishroom to try it again. No holding "eyes" shot.

But.....
1aCypFry031007.jpg

Three new fry born today around noon. Hurried to take a few shots so I could share how easy this is. :p

Got to run....to todays meeting. :eek:

maddog10

Members
To me, that sounded like Jo said it was OK to build a big fishroom in the backyard. Thats how I took it anyway (and no, you can't stay here when she kicks you out :lol: ).

One word to remember Bobby
Rancher......
They have longer basements for fish rooms[/b]

You can't imagine how many ranchers with "For Sale" signs I have been checking out lately :wacko:

To me, that sounded like Jo said it was OK to build a big fishroom in the backyard. Thats how I took it anyway (and no, you can't stay here when she kicks you out ).[/b]

Aww man, I was counting on a room looking out in the backyard with a view of the deer roaming in the evening. :lol:

Charlutz

Members
Nice pic. I just stripped fry from my utintas for the first time this past Saturday. Only 4 came out, but man, they are big for fry.

Charlutz

Members
Bobby, do you know how many days after spawning you stripped the fry? In my very limited experience (3 clutches, only one resulting in fry) the females are terrific at holding the fry for a very long time. I stripped at about 22 days. Some mouthbrooders eat while they are holding and I've observed the cyps doing it with every feeding. Maybe the young get some food while being held? Just wondering how long the yolk sac can sustain them. Charlie

Bobby, do you know how many days after spawning you stripped the fry? In my very limited experience (3 clutches, only one resulting in fry) the females are terrific at holding the fry for a very long time. I stripped at about 22 days. Some mouthbrooders eat while they are holding and I've observed the cyps doing it with every feeding. Maybe the young get some food while being held? Just wondering how long the yolk sac can sustain them. Charlie
[/b]

Sorry Charlie, but I didn't count the days. I was just watching her for about four weeks and Saturday morning I decided I would pull her out of the big tank. She spit them a short time later.

Btw, this was the first time I saw one of the females hold. They are still quite small, only about 2.5".

As for her feeding, I didn't once see her eat while she was holding.

Hope this info helps ya. :D

Charlutz

Members
Hope this info helps ya. :D
[/b]

I can say with all honesty that your information did not help in any way whatsoever. :lol: Sounds consistent with what I've observed, so that is some help. :p They breed small, hold eggs pretty well and release bigger than average fry. My group is 9m:11f and probably only 3 of the females are of breeding size. Half the group was added later, so they are a bit younger. I had a 12th female that I think died when she herniated something while breeding. I'm looking forward to getting a self sustaining group going. I've heard their lifespans are on the short side.