• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Cory Fever

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
To be exact, it's 77 and change, but last time I tested it was 77.6, so I rounded up. But thank you both. I just checked them again. No more fungused eggs and they are getting darker and look full, which means it should be any time now. Two air stones in the large Marina breeder box seems to have done the trick.

Next question, once they hatch, should I drop that down to one air stone? It seems like an awful lot of current for young fish.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Once they hatch, I'd definitely reduce the turbulence, either by removing one or both air stones or reducing the flow through them. Otherwise, they may get swept into the main tank. I've had that happen with cory fry in breeder boxes.

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
Turns out it was a false alarm. I came home to find all other eggs still intact and the one that tail breached is no longer moving. Looks like I had a a premature attempt.

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
4 hatched so far. Another 2-3 eggs look promising. The rest I fear are no longer any good. Looks like I've got a chance at 6.

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
4 is all I got. The rest fungused over or turned white. That's 1/6 of the starting 24. Not a great ratio. They were looking really good until I reduced the number of air stones to one. The 4 that I got look good. How long to first feed? 2-3 days? Or should I just let them forage on old plants/moss?

finzz

Members
If you have some plants or oak leaves on the bottom of the tank or breeder where the fry can get to them, you'll probably not have to feed for four or five days after hatching. If I remember right, C. duplicareus are pretty large, so they will be able to handle micro worms or decap BS eggs as first foods after that.

Good Luck!

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
Well, my fish took pity on me and laid again today. I just finished plucking 24 more eggs off of the plant leaves and tank sides/corners. I'm going to give the breeder another shot with some modification. If this doesn't work, I'm going to need to get some alder cones from someone so that I can separate them into a Tupperware container next time. I'm hoping to have 10 when I'm all said and done with these two batches. That would be less than 25%, so we'll see how it goes.

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
I like the snail idea, but I don't want snails everywhere in my tanks. How prolific are the ramshorns? Can I keep them contained somehow? Do you (or anyone else reading this thread) have any to spare? Where do you get your alder cones?

Wow, you certainly bought some prolific fish!

Yes! These fish are awesome. I now know I have at least 2 females and at least 4 males because I've had up to 4 chasing the females around. Not sure the sex of the other two. Wild caught cories breeding less than a month in. Pretty solid.

mchambers

Former CCA member
I get my alder cones in various places. I've collected them in Oregon, New York, and Vermont. I bring a plastic bag for them when I go on hikes in likely places.

A less fun way to get them is to buy some on eBay. I'm happy to give you a few to get started, at BFD.

Ramshorns are pretty prolific. I have plenty! You can keep them contained to one aquarium, but you will have a lot. I don't mind them, except when the population gets out of control. Then you need assassin snails or loaches.

FishEggs

Not overfeeding helps control the ramshorn population but when in the same tank as fry and juvies thats probably hard to do. I like them in my tanks. Just another part of the mini ecosystem.

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
I get my alder cones in various places. I've collected them in Oregon, New York, and Vermont. I bring a plastic bag for them when I go on hikes in likely places.

A less fun way to get them is to buy some on eBay. I'm happy to give you a few to get started, at BFD.

Ramshorns are pretty prolific. I have plenty! You can keep them contained to one aquarium, but you will have a lot. I don't mind them, except when the population gets out of control. Then you need assassin snails or loaches.

I won't be at BFD. No tank space and no time. Next meeting?

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
Not overfeeding helps control the ramshorn population but when in the same tank as fry and juvies thats probably hard to do. I like them in my tanks. Just another part of the mini ecosystem.

While I'm all about keeping tanks natural, in nature, snails can't overwhelm an ecosystem easily since they have predators and lots of space. In a tank, this is simply not true. I have no predators and limited space.

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
A thought, I could keep the ramshorn snails in a small container with an air stone/filter when I'm not using them for eggs. That way I don't contaminate a tank. Anyone near Bowie want to donate some to me?

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
Okay, so no one is overrun with Ramshorn snails and can pass a few on to me??? I know Matt does. Anyone that is relatively close to Bowie or College Park?

FishEggs

I can bring some back from Matt/BFD. I have plenty of trumpet snails but my ramshorns seem to have dwindled away.

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
That would be great. If Matt sees this and agrees, I'll take them. I've got a plan to keep them in check...

As for the new batch of eggs, 11 fungused or were unfertilized. I'm looking at 13 dark colored eggs about ready to hatch. That would be a significant improvement. Here's how I did it this time around:

5ED456A0-C693-4036-9136-6C49581AE078_zpsehvfdndy.jpg

I used a divider to put the new eggs in tight quarters with the air stone so that they got lots of good water movement on them. The other side is full of yummy microorganisms that the 4 other fry just started to feed on a little bit. Once the new eggs hatch (hopefully), I will remove the divider. Seems simple, but the close proximity of the air stone to the eggs seems to have drastically improved the eggs chance of going full term.