• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Cory Fever

finzz

Members
Just to repeat what Matt C said; it shouldn't be any trouble. I never had live plants in with mine, but taking them out of the yarn mops was easy.

Congratulations on the spawn: that was quick!

mchambers

Former CCA member
For my knaacki eggs today (and also for some gossei eggs in another tank twice in the last few days), I had to reach in and run my fingers along the underside of the leaves of the crypts in the tank. It's pretty easy to feel the eggs.

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
Just to repeat what Matt C said; it shouldn't be any trouble. I never had live plants in with mine, but taking them out of the yarn mops was easy.

Congratulations on the spawn: that was quick!

Great. Glad to hear it should be easy. I plan on putting the eggs in a Marina breeder box with the flow over them. I don't usually use methyl blue, so I'm not going to for this batch either. After they hatch, I'll keep them in the breeder box until they are large enough to go into the 10 gallon. I figure 1/2-3/4 of an inch is sufficient size to handle the 10 gallon depth. Thoughts?

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
For my knaacki eggs today (and also for some gossei eggs in another tank twice in the last few days), I had to reach in and run my fingers along the underside of the leaves of the crypts in the tank. It's pretty easy to feel the eggs.

I'll probably pull the entire piece of driftwood out of the tank and pluck them. It will be easier to sit at the table and inspect with a flashlight.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Great. Glad to hear it should be easy. I plan on putting the eggs in a Marina breeder box with the flow over them. I don't usually use methyl blue, so I'm not going to for this batch either. After they hatch, I'll keep them in the breeder box until they are large enough to go into the 10 gallon. I figure 1/2-3/4 of an inch is sufficient size to handle the 10 gallon depth. Thoughts?
I haven't had great luck with Marina breeder boxes and corydoras fry. You may do better, of course. At a minimum, I'd add an extra airstone for better circulation.

Lately, I've been putting the eggs into a shallow container with about an inch of water, mostly from the tank the eggs were pulled from, a couple of small ramshorn snails, an alder cone, and an airstone. Once the eggs hatch, I move them into a small tank with a sand bottom, and slightly higher water.

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
I just plucked 24 eggs from the tank.

I haven't had great luck with Marina breeder boxes and corydoras fry. You may do better, of course. At a minimum, I'd add an extra airstone for better circulation.

Lately, I've been putting the eggs into a shallow container with about an inch of water, mostly from the tank the eggs were pulled from, a couple of small ramshorn snails, an alder cone, and an airstone. Once the eggs hatch, I move them into a small tank with a sand bottom, and slightly higher water.

What was your issue with the breeder box? I'll throw the added air stone in. More circulation over eggs is always good. I figured once they hatched, I'd add some moss from an established tank for hiding and foraging the first few days. Then I'd feed with golden pearls and baby brine shrimp.

I had planned to add sand to the 10 gallon once they were hatched and large enough. Should I not fill it all the way up to start? Half way? 3/4? I don't want to harm them.

I used to use an in-tank breeder box, but most of the fry escaped through the small openings in it when they were first hatched and free swimming, so I was stuck with just a few at a time. I was rather inexperienced back then. I'd just add them into the 30 gallon tall once they were about 1/2 inch. They seemed to do fine. Maybe I was doing it wrong.

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
Maybe I'll try two air stones. I was thinking about putting filter intake foamies around the air stones and creating a sort of mini sponge filter.

finzz

Members
Don't know, but the eggs generally fungused.

Same here. I've use the plastic breeder boxes and the net breeders and had eggs go bad and unexplained fry die-off as well. I won't say that it can't work, just that I couldn't seem to make it work.

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
I heard Eric Bodrock talk about using small tupperware containers and an air stone. How do you heat such a thing? I can't imagine you would want them at room temperature. I figured the breeder box that uses tank water and tank temperature with water flow would be the best way. Seems counter-intuitive.

finzz

Members
I used to use the plastic shoe-box type containers and they worked fairly well (room temp). It got to be too much trouble and I use small aquaria to hatch & house the fry until they outgrow them.

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
Don, do you use any chemicals to prevent fungus? I know Matt uses the alder cone as stated above. I can move them to a tupperware container tomorrow if you think I would have better luck.

finzz

Members
I used acriflavine in the past, but got some alder cones from Eric at Catcon and use them now. They seem to work just as well.

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
Well I don't have alder cones or methyl blue or arciflavine. Maybe I'll stick with my breeder box idea and see how this batch does. To be honest, even being prepared, I never thought I would have a spawn this fast.

mchambers

Former CCA member
I heard Eric Bodrock talk about using small tupperware containers and an air stone. How do you heat such a thing? I can't imagine you would want them at room temperature. I figured the breeder box that uses tank water and tank temperature with water flow would be the best way. Seems counter-intuitive.
In the warmer months, room temperature works fine, in my house. In the winter, I use shallow containers and float them in the top of the tank.

As for antifungul, besides the alder cones, the ramshorn snails may help. There is a thread about this at Planet Catfish.

b considine

a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude
Man, I miss a day checking the forum and find this. Good stuff, Cory! I'll take 6, please.

Blaise

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
Two things:

I know most websites say 3-7 days to hatch, but what should I expect with mine at 78 degrees?

Second thing. What is your survival rate on eggs? I separated them so that they weren't in bunches and put two air stones with them. So far 8 were unfertilized/fungused. I have 16 left.

Thanks for all the help. I think if all this works out I'll at least end up with several fry.