• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Canister suggestion?

Eyebedam

Members
Sup folks,,,

I'm thinking of adding a canister to my display.. Just a little info on the tank,
It's a 180 upstairs which my plumbing drops 16ft down to my basement which hits a 60 gallon sump, then drops 2 more ft & hits a 200 gallon Rubbermaid tub before it heads back up to my display... In my sump it's packed with filter floss & pond matrix, I'm thinking of adding a large or the largest Sunsun canister filter I can find just for extra clarity & biological for the display tank. My question is anyone have any exp with these filters? I've read pretty good reviews on them, I don't really have the funds to drop on a FX6. I'd like to stay under 150.00 for this little project.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Sounds like you have quite the filtration going already if you already have more volume in the sump than you do the tank. Not sure you'd see much change from a bio perspective. If you are looking to clear particulates out of your display tank, I'd go with an HOB over the canister. Although I am a proponent of canisters, they aren't the easiest filter in the world to clean on a regular basis.

Cichness

Members
+1

I have a large sunsun. nice can for bio. wouldn't want to use it the clarify the water though.
the sterilizer probably will not work if you get it. mine didn't (just like in the reviews)
but the canister works great.

Eyebedam

Members
It doesn't have to be a Sunsun but I have been going through tons of YouTube reviews on the Sunsun & some odyssea Fx5 knockoff, from what I have read & watched the Sunsun seems the better out of the 2. I'm just tossing the idea around in my head ATM but normally when that happens I be up making a purchase lol.

I was planning on using it to get some of the tiny particles out of my display that don't make it downstairs & using it to run purigen in it along with some more matrix.

Eyebedam

Members
Sounds like you have quite the filtration going already if you already have more volume in the sump than you do the tank. Not sure you'd see much change from a bio perspective. If you are looking to clear particulates out of your display tank, I'd go with an HOB over the canister. Although I am a proponent of canisters, they aren't the easiest filter in the world to clean on a regular basis.

So are you thinking along the lines of a couple ac100's?

Ading522

Members
So are you thinking along the lines of a couple ac100's?

A couple of acc110 would do good I would guess..stick a prefikter on the intakes and just have sponge media in it.. Or if you really want to, spend $150 on a used fx5.. And maybe plumb it to your sump in the basement.. ? Just my Two cents..

Sent from my Xoom using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
The micron filter pads available for the FX5 state that they are to be removed within 24 hours to prevent clogging. I don't think this will solve your problem.

Have you considered the source(s) of the particulates?
Are you finding that the particulates are not making it out of the tank and into the filter? Or are they passing through your filtration system and returning to the tank?

By varying the grade (fine/course) of sponge in the filter, you may be able to solve your problem. You mentioned that you use floss. Do you have it positioned in such a way the the water returning to the tank is forced through it?

Eyebedam

Members
Water is pretty clear... Actually more clear than anyone else I know that has a tank that I actually see in person. I guess I'm just to anal, it's probably not needed at all but was just thinking adding something directly in the main display would take care of the cloudiness that occurs when I feed sometimes. Atleast faster than it going down to the to sumps & back up. I also thought it may keep me from having to change out the floss in the sump as often, I think part of. Y problem is I'm always tinkering with it lol..

blkmjk

Members
I personally would run a large pump like a Rio 32hf I would put a large sponge on the suction side if the pump and a 100 micron sick on the discharge and run it in your sump. It should polish the water like crazy.

Drew