• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Canister filter advise

Beeman

Members
As a supplemental filter to a AC 110 on a 55g(mbuna cichlids), not withstanding that an FX5 is THE best, but a bit of an over-kill on this size tank, what canister filter would be a good size/quality partner?

ddavila06

Members
stay within fluval and get a 505 ..i have the 405's and havent had any issues .......the 505 is the newest model :)

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
If you like HOBs, I would go with another ac110. If you prefer canisters, then I agree with Damian and would suggest you go with the 505. You could also just ad a sponge filter for supplemental. On my 75, I have a sponge filter on one half and an ac110 on the other. With weekly water changes, I have not had any issues.

Beeman

Members
If you like HOBs, I would go with another ac110. If you prefer canisters, then I agree with Damian and would suggest you go with the 505. You could also just ad a sponge filter for supplemental. On my 75, I have a sponge filter on one half and an ac110 on the other. With weekly water changes, I have not had any issues.

Exactly where I was going in fact. A 110 and a big sponge. I am going to drive it with a power-head. Any opinions on the new Marineland power-heads? I have used only AQ power-heads in the past, but they are a bit pricey now.

JLW

CCA Members
There's no such thing as a fluval 505, or 50Anything. :) Their latest update is to the X06s, and the 406 is the biggest in this line. (There's also the G-series and the FX5). I'm a fan of the Fluvals... they're easier to service, easy to use, and reliable.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Really?

Service? What's that? Haven't opened a couple of my Eheims in over a year, and every time I do am left wondering why I bothered. Sort of like my Toyota - true ease of service is not having to...

Hawkman2000

Members
There has never been a 50anything. the 06s are the newest line.

I know you can't really have to much filtration, but an AC 110 and a 406, why spend the money? I would think 2 306s would be more than enough for a 55g. Also, with 2 306s you wouldn't need any power-heads, just install venturi on the outputs if needed.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
There has never been a 50anything. the 06s are the newest line.

I know you can't really have to much filtration, but an AC 110 and a 406, why spend the money? I would think 2 306s would be more than enough for a 55g. Also, with 2 306s you wouldn't need any power-heads, just install venturi on the outputs if needed.

I run two 405s on a 40b planted tank. I like the capacity of the fluvals but other than the fx5, I don't like how soft the output is.

Sent from my DROIDX