• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Canister filter advise

Beeman

Members
Am seeking advise as a first(maybe) canister filter user. Am setting up a 90g S.A. cichlid tank. Thought I was going with HOB filtration, but it occurs to me that if I go with a canister, I can avoid the 6in. or more clearance in back, and instead step up to a 110g, occupying the same space overall. What canister filter would ya'll recommend? As a S.A. community, it will not be over-stocked as in an African group. I may likely also go with rev. flow U.G. filtration as well. All advise is much appreciated. And by the way, HAPPY HOLIDAYS to one and all!! Peace in each and every heart, and good will toward all senient beings.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Since you can't have too much filtration I would recommend an fx5. I've run one on a 75photo without issue so I'm confident it won't be too strong on a 90 or 110.

verbal

CCA Members
From what I have heard from others, it is hard to go wrong with an FX5. If you shop around online you should be able to get one for just over $200 new.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
From what I have heard from others, it is hard to go wrong with an FX5. If you shop around online you should be able to get one for just over $200 new.

check out the price at wag.com with the coupon code wagvpdc20
Last time I checked this site with the code, it was just under 200.00 with free shipping and the site says MD residents will get their orders within two business days.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Is your tank drilled? If so, I'd go with a sump. If not I'd go with an HOB like an AC110 (or 2). Or if it's not in your living room, a dump filter (basically a sump on top of your tank, with water pumped from the tank and gravity return to the tank).

I'm not really a fan of canisters. Any of the ones mentioned are good. Just a PITA to clean (vs. HOB), which (in my experience) I won't do as much as needed.

I wouldn't do anything involving an undergravel filter, either.

What kind of SA's are you planning on?

Matt

Beeman

Members
Is your tank drilled? If so, I'd go with a sump. If not I'd go with an HOB like an AC110 (or 2). Or if it's not in your living room, a dump filter (basically a sump on top of your tank, with water pumped from the tank and gravity return to the tank).

I'm not really a fan of canisters. Any of the ones mentioned are good. Just a PITA to clean (vs. HOB), which (in my experience) I won't do as much as needed.

I wouldn't do anything involving an undergravel filter, either.

What kind of SA's are you planning on?

Matt
Hey Matt, thanks for the reply. The community will be created around a group of angels. At first I was going with several schools of tetras, but I've since changed to considering small groups of 2 or 3 types of cichlids. These are whats on the list for consideration right now; flag acara(aequidens curviceps), golden dwarf cich.(nannacara anomala), keyhole cich.(cleithracara maronii), cupid cich.(biotodoma cupido), and festivum(mesonauta festivus). A large group of corys will complete the neighborhood.
Please feel free to make suggestions, what you would toss out, or add to the options.
Since nearly everyone has negative comments concerning UGF, and I have no overwhelming conviction toward it, that may likely be out! Here is the set-up as my minds-eye sees it with everything considered. Pool filter sand substrate with a dark gravel-bar or two. A couple of large rock formations. Cedar driftwood(any comments on the wood type?). Random groupings of swords and crypts.
As always, everyones comments are much appreciated. Barry

Buckcich

Members
Cedarwood contains ALOT resin. It may leach out for years!! Stay away from it (plus is a PITA to get it water saturated)

Go with manzanita or mopani wood (sinks readily). Or even a nice piece from a clean stream or seashore (make sure to boil it several times and air dry it in between. Strip any bark off of it)

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Sounds like it will be a pretty nice tank. I only have experience with Rena XP3s, Marineland Magnums and Fluval 304/404s. Of the three, the Renas are my favorite. I had two XP3s on my 110 when it was set up, but they didn't have XP5s when I bought them. If I had to do it again, I'd go with an XP5.

Like Matt said though, a lot can be accomplished with Aquaclear 110s.

ezrk

Members
We have Renas and Eheim Pro3s, both are pretty good.

The Renas mechanically are a bit less solid than the Eheims, but are much cheaper. On our 55 and 75 we have an Eheim and a Rena on each. We have the Eheims with the filter media they came with and a mix of stuff in the Renas.

Our experience is that having two filters on a tank is a good back-up...When something goes wrong with one you still have some filtration....