• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Buffer Recipe

minifoot77

Members
i use one tablespoon of baking soda per ten gallons. i bought a big bag of baking soda from walmart in the pool section for around 7 bucks

Charlutz

Members
Baking soda. I don't measure it anymore as I know about how much to add after a water change, but Caleb looks to have the amount right. I don't use it, but some people also add epsom salt to raise the gh.

chriscoli

Administrator
I used to use that recipe, but then stopped adding so much salt. I did a bunch of water testing last week and found that even the baking soda's been creeping up on me over time so i'm going to be cutting waaaaay back on that one, too.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
I only buffer tanks without crushed coral in the substrate. I just sort of dump a bunch of baking soda into the tank when I do changes. Heard you can't really overdue it as there's a deal of diminishing returns above a certain pH with baking soda.

Charlutz

Members
I only buffer tanks without crushed coral in the substrate. I just sort of dump a bunch of baking soda into the tank when I do changes. Heard you can't really overdue it as there's a deal of diminishing returns above a certain pH with baking soda.

You can't raise the ph beyond a certain point with baking soda, but you can continue to raise kh beyond what your fish need. Not sure when it would become a problem.

Tony

You can't raise the ph beyond a certain point with baking soda, but you can continue to raise kh beyond what your fish need. Not sure when it would become a problem.

Good to know, Charlie. I have a kH test kit somewhere... I'll check it out next water change.

fishman13

Members

We all know tony knows everything about the great rift lakes. LOL:D:D:angel2::angel2::angel2:

Sonny Disposition

A buffer is a compound that releases hydrogen ions to keep pH stable. It's either a weak acid and its salt, or a weak base or its salt. We had a speaker at CCA several years back who said that you could make a good buffer for Africans by combining baking soda (weak base) with washing soda (its salt.)

I don't know that you necessarily need a buffer to keep the pH stable in a high pH tank. I just add calcium chloride (for hardness) and sodium bicarbonate (to keep the pH up) every time I do a water change.

One of these days, I'll have to break down and buy a test kit so I can check on what the pH actually does.

Tony

thats what we put in concrete for an accelerator i can get 50 lbs bags for cheap....

So long as you use it in unreinforced concrete. If the concrete has any rebar or wire mesh, you need to use calcium nitrate. ;)