• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Any Sandy Spawns Yet?

chriscoli

Administrator
I've noticed a general change in activity among many of my fish, and will be keeping an eye on my cories....

...but I was surprised to see that ALL of my pelivcachromis are colored-up and in full spawning dress. Even a few extra females that I have set aside in another tank are strutting their stuff solo.

Anyone else notice anything?

mchambers

Former CCA member
Same. Did water changes, may do more tonight or tomorrow morning, but nothing special happening yet.

ddavila06

Members
i am so mad, i did not see any signs but something must have gone really wrong in my 15 gl Eunotos tank. Dad passed yesterday (he was old anyways, RIP) but today i noticed no aspidoras anywhere, and a dead juvie eunoto as well....thats when i realized something must be terribly wrong with the water. changed about 75% and went on to do everyone else. the aspidoras and female Eunotos came out....noticed two aspidoras dead..we shall see tomorrow if i pick a bunch of eggs =)

jonclark96

Past CCA President
My female cryptoheros myrnae has her tube down. Keeping my fingers crossed. They haven't spawned in months.

mchambers

Former CCA member
If barometric pressure is the key, Sandy should be great for spawning:

"Sandy's central pressure is expected to drop from its current 953 mb to 945 - 950 mb at landfall Monday night. A pressure this low is extremely rare; according to wunderground weather historian Christopher C. Burt, the lowest pressure ever measured anywhere in the U.S. north of Cape Hatteras, NC, is 946 mb (27.94") measured at the Bellport Coast Guard Station on Long Island, NY on September 21, 1938 during the great "Long Island Express" hurricane."

http://i.wund.com/auto/iphone/blog/JeffMasters/show.html#blog

YSS

Members
All my fish are just hungry and follow me around whenever I walk by because I didn't feed them today. :)

mchambers

Former CCA member
Cowries

Some of my cories have started swimming up and down the glass.
My Loxozonus were quite active an hour or two ago. My 3 month old c123 juveniles were swimming up and down the glass, but they're too young to spawn. Gold lasers looked more active, too, not that I need more of those.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Pelvicachromis

I've noticed a general change in activity among many of my fish, and will be keeping an eye on my cories....

...but I was surprised to see that ALL of my pelivcachromis are colored-up and in full spawning dress. Even a few extra females that I have set aside in another tank are strutting their stuff solo.

Anyone else notice anything?
Looks like my pelvicachromis had the same idea, although I think they must have "started up the Jenny and back feeding" before the storm. Just saw a cloud of fry earlier this afternoon:

1430178ccf2f0f7ede2bb2c6ed54543c.jpg

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Not this time

My catfishes seem happy but none spawned on account of the storm. Did see A. vijeita fry today and I believe my A. macmasteri spawned which if true is going to be very very cool as the male is every bit of 4" and has a lot of bright red coloration - largest and most striking species in the genus that I've ever seen.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Cool on the apistos. My corydoras didn't lay eggs, despite frequent massive water changes and one of the biggest barometric pressure drops they'll ever experience. I don't tend to see much corydoras spawning in storms, but because I read about it I keep hoping.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Whoop

The WC A. bitaentiata I got from Sr. Barber spawned also - just found 35-40 tiny tiny fry sitting on the bottom of their tank next to the front glass - am beginning to understand why Apistos are consistently so blasted expensive...